Head of Design
San Francisco /
About the Team
Scratch is building a loan repayment platform that puts borrowers first. We’re bringing world-class product and technical thinking to a multi-billion dollar industry that hasn't seen an attempt at a tech solution in well over two decades.
Design is core to Scratch’s DNA—we were founded to deliver the best possible experiences for the borrowers we serve. Scratch fosters a culture of design by working cross-functionally to understand our users' pain points, design empowering solutions, and use data to validate our hypotheses. Designers at Scratch are systems thinkers and strategic partners. We’re a small but rapidly growing team that serves as the connective tissue among our internal teams and as a bridge between the company and our users.
About the Role
We’re looking for a Head of Design who will lead our growing design team to help create products in the loan servicing space and change borrowers’ relationship with debt for the better. The ideal candidate has experience designing solutions for complex systems, a strong interaction, systems thinking and visual design skillset, and can work with cross-team partners and leadership to shape the future of our borrower-facing, lender-facing and internal-facing products. This is a unique opportunity to the right candidate to have direct impact on multiple key initiatives with far-reaching impact, growing the design team, and creating the foundation for Scratch to build upon for years to come.
In this role, you will:
- Be a champion of product strategy and design thinking and work closely with cross-functional peers: Envision what the borrower and lender experience for Scratch could be, and work with your team and cross-functional partners to make it come to life. Design has a strong voice and is a strategic part of Scratch, and being able to manage up and work with cross-functional teams is critical to the success of this role. This role will directly report to the CEO.
- Build and develop the team: Lead, coach, and mentor a team of 2 designers focused on the end-to-end Borrower and Lender experience across our different segment of users. You will have the resources and support to grow the team.
- Improve the craft and process: Ensure the design follows Scratch design standards and patterns. Keep on iterating and improving the product development process.
- Design and ship product: As a small team, you will start by helping define problems, goals and research methods, execute, and build a strong partnership with the PM and Engineering leads to drive design vision and strategy based on business objectives.
- Inspire others: Be a helpful, empathetic and inspiring leader to the designers on your team. Meet regularly with designers to provide and gather feedback on project progress, unblock blockers and celebrate successes.
You will love this job if:
- You have a deep interest in managing, mentoring, and coaching designers to grow their skills
- You create an environment for your design team to succeed by creating processes and frameworks to help them manage their time and projects in a way that drives positive outcomes
- You are excited by the thought of working on complex problems and thrive in ambiguity
- You are excited about working in a fast-paced startup environment and are flexible when it comes to adapting to change
- You are a strong communicator and facilitator that enjoys taking ideas and inputs from many stakeholders and synthesizing them into something they can engage with
We’d love to hear from you if:
- A seasoned designer who has 8+ years of UX and product design experience, knows what it takes to ship product, is able to set up the right processes to, and is willing to get into the details and work alongside their team
- A strong team player that builds trust not only within the design team, but also with cross-team partners, and is able to influence and bring alignment across the organization
- An experienced team builder who can lead and manage ICs, as well as experience in hiring top talent
- An inspiring mentor who is energized and enjoys cultivating others’ careers and knows how to motivate a team
- An empathic teammate that embraces vulnerability, and makes themselves available for their team and beyond
- Strong B2C experience is a nice to have!
In addition to your resume and cover letter, please include a link to a digital version of your portfolio, which should include at least 2-3 examples of relevant work. If there are specific projects you’d like us to look at, feel free to note them explicitly in the “Additional Information” field. Don’t forget to include the password if your site is password-protected!
We want you!
If you made it this far, chances are you’re as excited about working to change how people experience debt as we are—and we love that. Please apply even if you’re unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. Scratch is looking for smart, intellectually curious people who are invested in our mission, not just those who can “check all the boxes.”
Scratch's mission is to build a repayment platform to change the way consumers experience their debt. We believe that debt is one of those inevitable things that everyone has to deal with, yet few people are actually able to fully understand and wrangle with it in an effective manner.
By bringing world-class product and technical thinking to a multi-billion dollar industry that hasn’t seen innovation in well over two decades, Scratch enables people to understand their debt, whether it be a personal loan, school loan, or mortgage.
We have built a small, but really amazing team consisting of folks who have built some very well-known products at Google, Dropbox, Amazon, Pinterest, Facebook, Affirm, and more. Our office is based in San Francisco.
Benefits we provide:
Health insurance: We cover 99% of your healthcare premiums and 70% of your dependent’s premiums and offer competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance plans.
Learning and development stipend: We offer a $1,500 per year stipend for your personal career development!
Wellness benefit: We’re proud to provide employees a $100/month pre-tax credit towards any gym or fitness program.
Catered lunches and snacks: We have high-quality catered lunches every day and well-stocked kitchens.
Cell phone reimbursement: We reimburse you $50 per month towards your cell phone bill.
Generous PTO (including your birthday!), sick leave, and parental leave
401k program: We offer a 401k program!
Additional benefits: We offer each employee the opportunity to enroll in pre-tax benefits, such as commuter benefits and an FSA account.