San Francisco /
About the Team
Scratch is building a loan repayment platform that puts borrowers first. We’re bringing world-class product and technical thinking to a multi-billion dollar industry that hasn't seen an attempt at a tech solution in well over two decades.
Design is core to Scratch’s DNA—we were founded to deliver the best possible experiences for the borrowers we serve. Scratch fosters a culture of design by working cross-functionally to understand our users' pain points, design empowering solutions, and use data to validate our hypotheses. Designers at Scratch are systems thinkers and strategic partners. We’re a small but rapidly growing team that serves as the connective tissue among our internal teams and as a bridge between the company and our users.
About the role
We’re looking for a Product Designer who will help lead the next generation of design for our Borrower tools and experiences. The ideal candidate has experience designing consumer-facing mobile applications, a strong visual and interaction design skillset, and can work with cross-team partners and leadership to shape the future of our Borrower-facing products. This is a unique opportunity for the right candidate to have significant influence in defining the vision for a large product with far-reaching impact.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the design of our Borrower mobile app experience and the corresponding redesign of our Borrower web app experience
- Partner with a cross-functional team of designers, engineers, product managers, and operations specialists to design products that re-imagine the way consumers experience debt
- Work on projects from inception to implementation, including discovery, design, implementation and testing
- Collaborate closely with our Borrower Operations team and Tech Leads to understand, segment, and map Borrower journeys and identify the unique challenges they face along the way
- Collaborate with engineering to set and maintain a high quality bar for implementation, with a focus on usability, accessibility, responsiveness, and consistency across multiple different interaction surfaces (desktop web app, native mobile app, public website)
- Collaborate with other designers to test, evolve and extend our Design System
- Help to build and strengthen Scratch’s Design culture by fostering cross-disciplinary collaboration and championing design thinking
You will love this job if:
- You are passionate about our mission of changing the way people experience debt for the better
- Collaboration, with designers and non-designers, is central to your process
- You’re excited by the thought of working on complex problems
- You’re a self-starter who can make progress in the face of ambiguity
- You are excited about working in a fast-paced startup environment and are flexible when it comes to adapting to change
- You are a strong communicator and facilitator that enjoys taking ideas and inputs from many stakeholders and synthesizing them into something they can engage with
- You are humble and open to the idea that good ideas can come from anywhere
- You have a problem-solving mindset with a can-do attitude, and you’re willing to roll up your sleeves and do whatever work needs to be done
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have 4+ years of relevant professional design experience
- You have experience designing consumer-facing mobile products
- You have a strong, demonstrated understanding of visual design, interaction design, and information architecture
- You are willing and able to work across the “design stack” (i.e. from research to implementation)
In addition to your resume and cover letter, please include a link to a digital version of your portfolio, which should include at least 2-3 examples of relevant work. If there are specific projects you’d like us to look at, feel free to note them explicitly in the “Additional Information” field. Don’t forget to include the password if your site is password-protected!
We want you!
If you made it this far, chances are you’re as excited about working to change how people experience debt as we are—and we love that. Please apply even if you’re unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. Scratch is looking for smart, intellectually curious people who are invested in our mission, not just those who can “check all the boxes.”
Scratch's mission is to build a repayment platform to change the way consumers experience their debt. We believe that debt is one of those inevitable things that everyone has to deal with, yet few people are actually able to fully understand and wrangle with it in an effective manner.
By bringing world-class product and technical thinking to a multi-billion dollar industry that hasn’t seen innovation in well over two decades, Scratch enables people to understand their debt, whether it be a personal loan, school loan, or mortgage.
We have built a small, but really amazing team consisting of folks who have built some very well-known products at Google, Dropbox, Amazon, Pinterest, Facebook, Affirm, and more. Our office is based in San Francisco.
Benefits we provide:
Health insurance: We cover 99% of your healthcare premiums and 70% of your dependent’s premiums and offer competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance plans.
Learning and development stipend: We offer a $1,500 per year stipend for your personal career development!
Wellness benefit: We’re proud to provide employees a $100/month pre-tax credit towards any gym or fitness program.
Catered lunches and snacks: We have high-quality catered lunches every day and well-stocked kitchens.
Cell phone reimbursement: We reimburse you $50 per month towards your cell phone bill.
Generous PTO (including your birthday!), sick leave, and parental leave
401k program: We offer a 401k program!
Additional benefits: We offer each employee the opportunity to enroll in pre-tax benefits, such as commuter benefits and an FSA account.