Senior Staff Accountant - Tax
Pasadena, California /
Accounting and Finance – Accounting and Finance /
Scratch Financial ("Scratchpay") is a financial technology startup based in Los Angeles, California. Our goal is to make difficult financial decisions simple and increase accessibility to fair, affordable, and transparent medical financing. Driven by our award-winning technology, Scratchpay has become the fastest growing financing provider in veterinary care, with our payment plans now offered in over 10,000 practices across the U.S. and Canada–ranging from dental offices to optometry clinics. We’re rapidly launching a new Point-of-Sale payment processing suite to help our providers create a better payments experience for their patients.
If putting compassion first, helping create groundbreaking products and continuously iterating & refining those products sound like you, then we encourage you to apply.
Reporting to the Controller, the Senior Staff Accountant - Tax ensures that the Company is in compliance with tax laws across all relevant jurisdictions. The Senior Staff Accountant will conduct internal projects, review state and federal returns, and analyze tax related data. This position will also be responsible for executing payroll for US employees. Scratch is a fast growing company and this position will provide opportunities to identify areas of growth and improvement and to build great processes to ensure a successful future.
Salary Range: $70K -$90K depending on experience and location
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field
- 3 to 6 years of tax accounting experience
- Strong knowledge of accounting and tax laws ideally for lending, payment processing and/or SAAS industries
- Advanced proficiency in Excel
- Excellent communication and research skills
- Data driven and results oriented approach to daily work
Role and Responsibilities
- Review and analyze expenses and fixed assets based upon the taxability by law and determine taxability measure
- Work with external tax consultants on tax return preparation (USA - federal and states, Canada)
- Assist with the filing of Sales and Use tax for various jurisdictions (SAAS)
- Calculate and deposit all company tax payments in a timely manner
- Prepare deferred tax calculation
- Execute bi-weekly payroll (Quickbooks Payroll Premium)
- Prepare monthly and fiscal close journal entries
- Respond to notices received from tax authorities and assist with audits
- Prepare periodic tax reports at federal and state levels
- Prepare and file 1099s (- Misc, -C, -Int, etc.)
- File unclaimed property in all states
- File the monthly, quarterly, and annual Census Bureau reporting as necessary (if selected)
- Analyze tax issues, propose solutions, and advise on relevant federal, state and local tax laws
Scratchpay is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Scratchpay considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.