VP of Credit Risk
Pasadena, California /
Risk – Credit Risk /
Scratch Financial ("Scratchpay") is a financial technology startup based in Los Angeles, California. Our goal is to make difficult financial decisions simple and increase accessibility to fair, affordable, and transparent medical financing. Driven by our award-winning technology, Scratchpay has become the fastest growing financing provider in veterinary care, with our payment plans now offered in over 10,000 practices across the U.S. and Canada–ranging from dental offices to optometry clinics. With long-established industry giants in our sights, we’re looking to shake up the patient payments space, and we’d love to have you come aboard for the ride!
If putting compassion first, helping create groundbreaking products and continuously iterating & refining those products sound like you, then we encourage you to apply.
What will you do
Scratchpay is hiring a Vice President of Credit Risk. You and the risk team will be responsible for managing credit and fraud risks across all products and through the life cycle of both the customer and merchant. This includes developing data capabilities, building profitable and scalable decision-making frameworks, creating predictive models powered by machine learning, improving customer servicing strategies, and supporting the organization analytically. Additionally, you and the risk team will play a central role in the organization and collaborate with all internal departments and regularly communicate with investors and other important stakeholders.
Reporting directly to the CEO you will be working closely with the founders and the management team. You will have the opportunity to fundamentally shape Scratchpay and develop and implement the strategies needed to scale the company from a startup to a unicorn.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and enhance policies, processes, and controls for managing credit and fraud risk
- Manage a team of analysts, data scientists, and fraud agents
- Lead quantitative analysis to determine approval thresholds and customer offers
- Build merchant fraud and credit strategies for new and existing veterinary clinics
- Identify new data sources, evaluate data sources, and integrate them into the decisioning framework
- Drive relationship with key data vendors and own contractual negotiations
- Create an effective reporting framework and manage operational issues (e.g. fraud) with discipline
- Design customer communication, product, and servicing strategies to support risk management strategies, ensuring a positive experience across every customer touchpoint
- Degree in a quantitative field such as Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or Economics
- Minimum 7 years of credit and fraud risk experience from both acquisition and lifecycle, with substantial management experience
- Blend of analytical skills, process expertise, project management, and relationship-building skills
- Knowledge of SQL, R, Python or another similar programming language is a plus
- Thought leadership and solution-oriented mindset
- Ability to think strategically and apply both quantitative methods and business insights to drive results
- Ability to build strong relationships in a cross-functional environment
- Clear, effective written and oral communication skills
- POS financing experience
- Experience working with both credit and fraud using automated decision frameworks
- Experience managing risk on merchant side
- Experience managing delinquency strategies and related communications
How to know if you are a good fit? You need to:
- Have empathy; understanding the position of others is critical to the success of the role, both in terms of managing the team and solving customer issues.
- Be thoroughly independent; yet know when to raise a point or ask for a clarification or escalate a potential issue
- Be able to communicate; Not necessarily in terms of quantity but more importantly in terms of quality.
- Know your stuff; While no one is perfect, everyone can learn more. You need to be humble enough to see where you need to improve and curious / hard working enough to actually fix your weaknesses.
- Take constructive criticism; It's important to always be able to ask yourself "What if I'm wrong?". You may not be wrong, but challenging your thinking is healthy. We do that a lot at Scratchpay.
Scratchpay is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Scratchpay considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.