Manager / Director of Credit Strategy & Analytics #LI-Remote
Pasadena, California /
Risk – Credit Risk /
Scratch Financial ("Scratchpay") is a financial technology startup based in Los Angeles, California. Our goal is to make difficult financial decisions simple and increase accessibility to fair, affordable, and transparent medical financing. Driven by our award-winning technology, Scratchpay has become the fastest growing financing provider in veterinary care, with our payment plans now offered in over 10,000 practices across the U.S. and Canada–ranging from dental offices to optometry clinics. We’re rapidly launching a new Point-of-Sale payment processing suite to help our providers create a better payments experience for their patients.
If putting compassion first, helping create groundbreaking products and continuously iterating & refining those products sound like you, then we encourage you to apply.
Scratch is seeking to hire a Manager of Credit Strategy & Analytics to join our credit risk team and help revolutionize the way patients and pet owners pay for care. In this role, you will provide support for the development and maintenance of credit risk strategies to drive responsible high performing lending programs for our growing customer base. This position requires an in-depth understanding of the principles of both account and portfolio level risk management. The ability to structure problems and execute on solutions quickly is critical.
- Lead a team of high performing credit analysts in a rapidly changing environment including performance management and career development; mentor and coach credit analysts to ensure the work products are of the highest quality
- Optimize underwriting models to increase approval rates while achieving target profitability; continuously improve Scratch’s models by incorporating new data sources and new technologies
- Generate and maintain team reporting metrics to show the performance / operational effectiveness of credit risk underwriting and monitoring efforts for use in management reporting
- Maintain, develop, and optimize credit risk rules and eligibility workflows to maximize the efforts of the credit analyst team; leverage advanced analytics to optimize existing credit risk monitoring strategies in order to reduce false positive rates and increase credit risk detection rates
- Establish and maintain credit risk decision matrices and policies by taking traditional methodologies and crafting them to Scratch’s unique customer base in a manner which balances credit loss, customer experience, customer profitability, and other key metrics
- Lead periodic reviews of existing clients to ensure credit worthiness is maintained while evaluating the review process itself to ensure we exceed industry standards
- Lead root cause analyses to identify further opportunities to predict, prevent, and mitigate credit risk; drive strategic changes to credit models through data driven analysis
- Build strong partnerships with partners across the company including sales and marketing, customer service, and senior management
- Conduct routine analysis of trends within the industry to use as a benchmark for improving workflows and decision rubrics; perform competitive analysis to understand and continuously monitor Scratch’s risk appetite relative to peers
- Assist in the development of all outbound client communication materials to ensure our customers have an outstanding experience
- Maintain team; lead recruiting efforts to bring in top quality candidates to fill critical roles
Desired Skills and Experience (Qualifications):
- Bachelor’s degree with in a quantitative field e.g. engineering, math, statistics, natural sciences; graduate degree a plus
- 3-7+ years of risk management experience within traditional or specialty/online consumer finance
- 2+ years leading small to mid-sized teams
- 2+ years implementing strategies in a high-technology environment
- Well developed analytics skill set, including data mining, analysis, and visualization (SQL, Python, SAS, R, etc)
- Ability to analyze large transactional datasets, interpret ambiguous situations, and make decisions under pressure
- Advanced Excel / Google Sheets
- Understanding of the online payments landscape across all participants - issuer, merchant, acquirer, and network
- Creative, team-focused, and an effective problem-solver
- Familiarity with cash flow models and financial analysis
- Able to succinctly communicate key findings to Senior Management team
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment and meet deadlines without sacrificing quality
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams and influence change to remove barriers that affect performance
Scratchpay is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Scratchpay considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.