Senior Product Counsel #LI-Remote
Legal and Compliance – Legal and Compliance /
Scratch Financial ("Scratchpay") is a financial technology startup based in Los Angeles, California. Our goal is to make difficult financial decisions simple and increase accessibility to fair, affordable, and transparent medical financing. Driven by our award-winning technology, Scratchpay has become the fastest growing financing provider in veterinary care, with our payment plans now offered in over 10,000 practices across the U.S. and Canada–ranging from dental offices to optometry clinics. With long-established industry giants in our sights, we’re looking to shake up the patient payments space, and we’d love to have you come aboard for the ride!
If putting compassion first, helping create groundbreaking products and continuously iterating & refining those products sound like you, then we encourage you to apply.
This position is open to remote candidates based in the US
Position Description and Responsibilities
Scratchpay is hiring its first Senior Product Counsel to support our suite of innovative financial products. Reporting directly to Scratchpay’s Chief Administrative Officer and General Counsel, you will manage all legal matters relating to Scratchpay’s consumer lending and payment products and services.
- Work with Product and Engineering to build innovative products that are safe and sound
- Advise on a wide range of legal issues, including federal lending requirements (including under TILA, ECOA and FCRA) and payment regulations
- Support Customer Service and Marketing with legal review of collaterals and procedures
- Support Credit Risk with legal review of procedures and ECOA/FCRA processes
- Support Compliance with legal interpretations and latest legal developments
- Support key regulatory relationships, including with state regulators and partner banks
- Help improve internal legal review processes and legal operations
To be successful, you must have significant expertise in federal consumer lending regulations and/or payment law. You must also be proactive in your practice and be as invested in delivering a quality finished product as any member of Product or Technology team would be. At Scratchpay, Legal is an integral part of the business, so you are expected to contribute at every stage of product development and provide continual, real time support to all key functions. At the same time, you must provide your advice with unquestionable integrity, always providing honest counsel that is in the best interest of the company.
We expect that you will bring:
- Passion for the practice of law and helping build things that will last
- At least 5 years of experience primarily advising companies on consumer lending matters and navigating regulations governing financial services
- Competent understanding of payment law and payment network structure
- Breadth of knowledge in related fields of law, including IP and data privacy
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Creative legal thinking and ability to prioritize effectively
- Excellent project management skills
- Process oriented, while being comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Team spirit and commitment to role as an internal service provider to the company
- JD and a bar membership in good standing with at least one US state bar
While we think prior in-house experience will help you with this role, what matters the most is your expertise and passion for the role. If you believe you have what it takes, please apply!
Scratchpay is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Scratchpay considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.