Director of Engineering #LI-Remote
Technology – Technology /
Scratch Financial ("Scratchpay") is a financial technology startup based in Los Angeles, California. Our goal is to make difficult financial decisions simple and increase accessibility to fair, affordable, and transparent medical financing. Driven by our award-winning technology, Scratchpay has become the fastest growing financing provider in veterinary care, with our payment plans now offered in over 10,000 practices across the U.S. and Canada–ranging from dental offices to optometry clinics. With long-established industry giants in our sights, we’re looking to shake up the patient payments space, and we’d love to have you come aboard for the ride!
If putting compassion first, helping create groundbreaking products and continuously iterating & refining those products sound like you, then we encourage you to apply.
This position is open to remote candidates based in the US
Scratchpay is hiring its Director of Engineering who can provide sound technical leadership in all aspects of our business. Reporting to Scratchpay’s Co-Founder and Chief Operating Officer, you will manage our developers, information security team and other resources to lead technical initiatives that will spur the company’s growth and ensure product security. You will work closely with Product and other business stakeholders to support continued innovation in our products and services, and to ensure that our technologies are being developed and maintained in a safe and sound manner.
Strategic thinking, operational and business acumen, and commitment to delivering quality builds within the deadline are essential in this role. We expect the Director of Engineering to be well-versed in current technological trends and familiar with relevant business concepts.
- Build a world-class technology team focused on problem solving, efficiency and reliable delivery
- Own the tech stack, engineering, and security that supports our game-changing suite of products
- Provide deep technology insights to the Executive Leadership Team and influence strategic business decisions
- Ensure platform stability and reliability to maintain optimal customer experiences
- Identify new and emerging technologies/trends, and bring ideas on how we can leverage them to continually innovative
- Develop cybersecurity strategy, auditing, system design, defense, detection, and drive security-aware behaviours across the business; understanding of the ongoing cybersecurity threats and actions required to mitigate risks
- Partner with our Product team to shape the roadmaps of our global products
- Focus on making product and systems development faster and more effective by improving processes, cross-pollinating ideas, and improving skill levels, or by increasing investment in a few company-critical projects.
- Ensure the company's technological processes and service comply with all requirements, laws, and regulations
- Experience as a senior technology/engineering leader
- Deep expertise in developing evolutionary architecture strategies to optimise across all domains (covering enterprise, application, infrastructure, network, and data)
- Experience in scaling technology capability and leading high-performing teams across multiple geographies
- Experience in Fintech (payments/lending), Veterinary or Medical fields is a plus
- Experience integrating with practice management systems, payment platforms and other third-party systems is a plus
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field; MBA or other relevant graduate degree is a plus
- Advanced IT Knowledge
- In-depth knowledge of web systems architecture, design and development
- Hands on experience with complex project management
Other Desired Qualities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to organizational excellence, goal setting and team building
- Care for internal and external customers and own team members
- Honest feedback and transparency
- Absolute commitment to quality and deadlines
- Bias for action
Scratchpay is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Scratchpay considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.