Backend Software Engineer - Notifications
San Francisco OR Remote US/Canada /
Engineering – Web Development /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we work to change the way the world reads by building the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals, and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.8M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
We’re defining the workforce of the future with Scribd Flex, a program that embraces multiple perspectives while leaning into our belief that no matter where each team member is, we trust them to accomplish our shared business goals. This program lets employees, in partnership with their manager, choose where they work while creating intentional in-person meetings with co-workers that build culture and connect us personally.
Remote employees must have their primary residence in: Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, DC, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Ontario (Canada), British Columbia (Canada), or Mexico.
*This list may not be complete or accurate, and candidates should speak with their recruiter about their specific location for remote work.
About the Team
Our engineering team is organized to allow for impact, autonomy, ownership, and responsibility while still allowing the team and product to scale efficiently and painlessly. The Notifications team is on the front-line of our direct and triggered communications to our customer base -- crucial to the success of Scribd!
We believe in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We’re looking for engineers who also have this view and are excited about writing quality code, trying new technologies, and playing well with others.
About the Job
Some of the job tasks include: Developing and maintaining the backend integrations and information required for our communication channels. Working closely with Marketing and Sales, you’ll develop systems that allow them to effectively present our brand, and deliver personalized, globalized content directly to our customers.
There is a lot of flexibility on the team! We want you to work on projects that match your interests, develop your career, and maintain a good work-life balance. This is a new and growing team with opportunities for leadership and mentorship.
You’re a strong engineer who enjoys working with different teams. You care about code review as both a chance to present your work and to learn from others. You focus on well-written, elegant solutions, not just the quick fix, and you never skimp on testing. You are always learning and always working to improve your craft.
- Build or modify our API integrations
- Develop a generalized model for user communications
- Develop database models and schemas while ensuring data integrity
- Deliver precise and personal recommendations to our users
- Develop best practices and tests
- 3+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Experience with real-time data platforms like Kafka
- Experience or interest in notifications delivery (email, text messages, push notifications)
- You have a CS/CE degree or equivalent professional experience
- You love seeing your work get into production quickly
Benefits, Perks, and Wellbeing at Scribd
• Healthcare Insurance Coverage: Scribd pays for employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and a portion of dependent premiums
• 401k/RSP plans provided, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Quarterly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Concern mental health digital platform
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
• Leaves: 12 weeks paid parental leave, company paid short-term/long-term disability plans and milestone Sabbaticals
• Generous Paid Time Off: Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion programs which include learning & development opportunities, employee resource groups, and hiring best practices.
Benefits/perks listed may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Scribd and the geographical location where you work.
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.