Senior Software Engineer II (Full stack, Back-End Focused)
San Francisco OR Remote US/Canada /
Engineering – SEO /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors. Our community includes over 1.4M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
About the SEO Development Team
We’ve built one of the world’s largest libraries of books, audiobooks, magazine articles, sheet music collections, and user uploaded documents. Over 1.5 billion people discover Scribd and our content via search engines every year. The SEO team works across the stack to deliver high-quality, performant, and optimized web experiences that empower and delight our readers.
The team is a team first. We work collaboratively, not as engineers working on individual projects in silos. We continually strive for inclusivity and strongly value diversity. We recognize that everyone has a unique set of work and life experiences, and believe that a broader set of perspectives will produce better results for all. Each day provides both opportunities to perform and opportunities to learn. We support others' growth and celebrate our collective achievements.
We use tools that emphasize asynchronous communication (Slack, Github, Jira, Google Docs) but will also pair program or jump into a meeting room when those are the best approaches. Regardless of the medium, excellent communication skills are a must. We operate with autonomy (developers closest to the code will make the most well-informed decisions) while holding ourselves and each other accountable for using good judgement when faced with each day's unique challenges.
This role will join the SEO team where our focus is on growing search engine traffic that converts to paying customers. This is where the vast majority of our new customers are acquired. So if you're interested in a high-profile position where you'll be making a huge impact on the business, this is the role for you.
As a Senior Full Stack Engineer, you've probably seen quite a bit in your career, and we want to leverage all of it. Full-cycle software development will be your primary function, but we'll expect you to contribute in a number of ways, including advising on others' technical design, reviewing code, participating in interviews, and mentoring less experienced engineers. When you are doing software development, you'll be doing more than just coding a ticket handed to you. You'll own the design, implementation, delivery, and operation of systems, end-to-end. You'll consider testability, upgradeability, scalability, and observability throughout the development process. You'll regularly have one or two engineers following your lead, whose output you will be responsible for
Our online applications use React, Redux and server side rendering using Hypernova on the frontend and Rails, MySQL on the backend. We use Sidekiq to run background jobs and Databricks environment for offline data processing.
Office or Remote ?
At this time the role will start as full-time remote, as all of our employees are working from home. When everyone is able to return to the office this role is available at our new office in San Francisco or in our Toronto office. This position can also be fully remote.
Some of our Key Focus Areas:
- SEO - with a library of millions of books, audiobooks and documents, search engine optimization is about a lot more than having a good sitemap.
- Site speed - How fast is fast enough? What should load first and what can wait? Does the page jump around when it loads? What's our input delay? We're constantly driving to be the the best in the industry. Measure, optimize, repeat...
- Front-end infrastructure - We strongly believe in code reuse and simplicity. We are working on a shareable react component library, single page app architecture, design system, and more to make our product development simple, fast and consistent.
- Back-end infrastructure - Building and maintaining metadata extraction pipelines, document metadata storage, and APIs that expose metadata to the frontend.
- Partnerships - Working closely with Google and our other partners to execute on impactful new opportunities.
- 5+ years experience coding in modern full stack consumer facing web applications.
- Professional experience working on backend technologies preferably in Ruby on Rails or Python.
- Experience working with data pipelines, both real-time and batch offline.
- Passionate about testing. Previous experience writing unit and integration tests with frameworks like Jest, Rspec, Enzyme, Cypress, Selenium, WebdriverIO etc.
- Experience de-bugging issues in a complex modern web architecture which includes: distributed systems, CDN, image servers, databases, asynchronous web services, CSRF, cross site scripting, etc.
Scribd's culture of collaboration, trust, and accountability has remained strong in the Covid era. We respect one another and strive to understand and celebrate each of our unique strengths and challenges. We're looking for people who share those values and want to work towards the growth and health of our team and the individuals in it.
Benefits & Perks of Life at Scribd
• Health & Welfare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents.
• Leaves: Paid Parental leave, and 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Diversity, Equity & Inclusion programs
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly flexible Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Luma by Concern, our mental health digital platform
• Work Life Balance flexibility
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.