Senior Software Engineer (Back-End Focused) - SEO
San Francisco OR Remote US/Canada /
Engineering – SEO /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.4M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
About the SEO Development Team
We’ve built one of the world’s largest libraries of books, audiobooks, magazine articles, sheet music collections, and user uploaded documents. Over 1.5 billion people discover Scribd and our content via search engines every year. This role will join the SEO team where our focus is on growing search engine traffic that converts to paying customers. This is where the vast majority of our new customers are acquired. So if you're interested in a high-profile position where you'll be making a huge impact on the business, this is the role for you.
The work includes:
• Building and maintaining metadata extraction pipelines, document metadata storage, and APIs that expose metadata to the frontend.
• Exposing all documents to search indexers through sitemaps.
• Building, optimizing, and maintaining the indexation and canonicalization systems.
• Extracting and analyzing data from third-parties and building reports on key SEO metrics.
• Working closely with Google and our other partners to execute on impactful new opportunities.
The team is a team first. We work collaboratively, not as engineers working on individual projects in silos. We continually strive for inclusivity and strongly value diversity. We recognize that everyone has a unique set of work and life experiences, and believe that a broader set of perspectives will produce better results for all. Each day provides both opportunities to perform and opportunities to learn. We support others' growth and celebrate our collective achievements.
We use tools that emphasize asynchronous communication (Slack, Github, Jira, Google Docs) but will also pair program or jump into a meeting room when those are the best approaches. Regardless of the medium, excellent communication skills are a must. We operate with autonomy (developers closest to the code will make the most well-informed decisions) while holding ourselves and each other accountable for using good judgement when faced with each day's unique challenges.
As the Senior Software Engineer of the SEO team, your job will be to provide hands-on technical leadership across all of the team's back-end work as well as the team's overall technical roadmap.
The responsibilities include:
• Leading the design, implementation, and delivery of your primary project.
• Managing all aspects of technical project delivery, including system and architectural design, project planning, implementation, deployment, and operations.
• Ensuring consistency of design, adherence to Scribd engineering principles and practices, and operational excellence across all team work.
• Working closely with the team's Engineering Manager to prioritize technical projects and improvements relative to requested feature work.
• Developing a long term roadmap for evolving team systems to support orders of magnitude growth of Scribd's subscribers, user uploads, and publisher content.
• Being a presence that makes every engineer on the team better.
As the responsibilities demonstrate, the Senior Software Engineer role is more than just an advanced IC role. Your years of experience allow you to give guidance on projects you aren't deeply familiar with and quickly diagnose root causes of bugs. You and the Engineering Manager will be a team, with your expertise and ability to handle daily technical blockers enabling the Engineering Manager to focus on interviewing and hiring, people management, and project planning.
If these responsibilities match your interests (and excludes responsibilities you have no desire to perform) then you should apply!
Our technical work is divided between our online Rails application and our offline Databricks environment. Many of the systems we're responsible for span both environments, so engineers regularly work within both.
Office or Remote?
At this time the role will start as full-time remote, as all of our employees are working from home. When everyone is able to return to the office this role is available at our new office in San Francisco or in our Toronto office. This position can also be fully remote.
- 6+ years experience coding in modern full stack consumer facing web applications.
- Professional experience working on backend technologies preferably in Ruby, Python, and Scala.
- Experience working with systems at Scribd's current scale.
- Experience working with data pipelines, both real-time and batch offline.
- Passionate about testing. Previous experience writing unit and integration tests with frameworks like Jest, Rspec, Enzyme, Cypress, Selenium, WebdriverIO etc.
- Experience de-bugging issues in a complex modern web architecture which includes: distributed systems, CDN, image servers, databases, asynchronous web services, CSRF, cross site scripting, etc.
Scribd's culture of collaboration, trust, and accountability has remained strong in the Covid era. We respect one another and strive to understand and celebrate each of our unique strengths and challenges. We're looking for people who share those values and want to work towards the growth and health of our team and the individuals in it.
Benefits, Perks and Wellbeing at Scribd
• Healthcare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents
• Leaves: Paid parental leave, 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans, and milestone Sabbaticals
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion hiring best practices
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Concern mental health digital platform
• Work-life balance flexibility
• Employee Resource Groups that build community and support among employees
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
• Monthly inclusive multi-cultural celebrations & learning opportunities
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.