Senior Manager - Applied Research / Data Science
San Francisco Office /
Data Science – Data Science /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors. Our community includes over 1.4M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
Our data science team is digesting terabytes of data, making sense of it, and delivering key insights that drive both business and product decisions. The team works on every aspect of the business so you’ll touch everything we do and have an impact on all aspects of Scribd. Reporting to the Head of Data Science, you will assume leadership of a team that currently includes two Data Scientists. We anticipate that this team will grow to as many as seven over the next year or so. Initially, the role will include individual contributor work, but that should diminish as the team expands.
At present one Data Scientist focuses on machine learning and the other on payments and fraud. However, we are open to your suggestions for organizing the team and work moving forward. The team is involved in a lot of activities, including product science, A/B test design, exploratory analyses, modeling and more. You'll oversee the team, providing technical support, managing performance, training/coaching, assigning work, monitoring progress, and more.
The team is expected to:
* Provide decision support to the whole company by doing analysis, building predictive models, creating reports - doing whatever it takes - to support data needs across the organization.
* Becoming domain experts in all aspects of the Scribd business, product, and data model; use this expertise to provide advice to all teams in the usage of our data.
* Solve ambiguous problems.
* Collaborate with stakeholders to determine the highest-impact opportunities.
- A bachelor's degree or higher in math, stats, CS, or physics, or equivalent experience.8 to 10 years of progressive experience, including a couple of years at the management level.
- Solid professional experience in data science, and familiarity with at one or more of the following; NLP, recommendation systems, neural networks, predictive modeling.
- Experience writing in SQL. Experience with a scripting language like Python, R, etc.
- Knowledge of A/B testing.
- Experience designing metrics such as success metrics.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves to achieve goals.
- The ability to adapt as our company grows and evolves.
Ideally you have:
- Different companies/business models.
- Experimental design or deep learning.
- Building a small team.
- Working remotely from your supervisor.
Benefits & Perks of Life at Scribd
• Health & Welfare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents.
• Leaves: Paid Parental leave, and 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Diversity, Equity & Inclusion programs
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly flexible Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Luma by Concern, our mental health digital platform
• Work Life Balance flexibility
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.