Senior Software Engineer (Back-End Focussed) - Publisher Content Management
San Francisco OR Remote US /
Engineering – Content Engineering /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.4M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
The Publisher Content Management team builds and evolves the ingestion pipelines and management tools that support all of the premium content - ebooks, audiobooks, magazines and articles, podcasts and sheet music, that is available to Scribd subscribers. As such, the team’s responsible for:
-Verifiably-correct ingestion of all publisher content and metadata
-Augmenting publisher content with additional external metadata sources and internally-built metadata
-Ensuring correct availability of publisher content based for time-based, region-based, and other publisher restrictions.
-Managing the data pipelines that compute and generate accurate reports that are used to pay publishers. Scribd's premium content has been incredibly popular with Scribd users and thus is critical for our team to both maintain the current pipelines and services as well as plan for future growth, both in publisher content library size and user consumption.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you've probably seen quite a bit in your career, and we want to leverage all of it. Full-cycle software development will be your primary function, but we'll expect you to contribute in a number of ways, including advising on others' technical design, reviewing code, participating in interviews, and mentoring less experienced engineers. When you are developing software, you'll be doing more than just coding a ticket handed to you. You'll own the design, implementation, delivery, and operation of systems, end-to-end. You'll consider testability, upgradeability, scalability, and observability throughout the development process. On Publisher Content Management, a Senior Backend Engineer is a leader. You'll regularly have one or two engineers following your lead, whose output you will be responsible for.
Office or remote?
At this time the role will start as full-time remote, as all of our employees are working from home. When everyone is able to return to the office this role is available at our new office in San Francisco. This position can also be fully remote in the following regions (California, Washington , Oregon, Colorado, Arizona)
-6+ years of experience as a professional software engineer. Strong programming skills in Ruby, Scala or similar languages.
-You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
-Experience with data modeling and data management.
-Nice to have experience with data pipelines, both real-time and batch or a desire to learn.
-Bachelor’s in CS or equivalent professional experience.
Benefits, Perks and Wellbeing at Scribd
• Healthcare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents
• Leaves: Paid parental leave, 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans, and milestone Sabbaticals
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion hiring best practices
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Concern mental health digital platform
• Work-life balance flexibility
• Employee Resource Groups that build community and support among employees
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
• Monthly inclusive multi-cultural celebrations & learning opportunities
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.