Software Engineer, Notifications
San Francisco, CA
Engineering – Payments
1. a tech company changing the way the world reads
2. a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, sheet music, news, and magazines
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the Team
Our engineering team is organized to allow for impact, autonomy, ownership, and responsibility while still allowing the team and product to scale efficiently and painlessly. The Notifications team is on the front-line of our direct and triggered communications to our customer base -- crucial to the success of Scribd!
We believe in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We’re looking for engineers who share this view and are excited about writing quality code, trying new technologies, and playing well with others.
About the role
You'll be responsible for: Developing and maintaining the backend integrations and information required for our communication channels. Working closely with Marketing and Sales, you’ll develop systems that allow them to effectively present our brand, and deliver personalized, globalized content directly to our customers.
There is a lot of flexibility on the team! We want you to work on projects that match your interests, develop your career, and maintain a good work-life balance. This is a new and growing team with opportunities for leadership and mentorship.
On any day you might work on
• Building or modifying our API integrations
• Developing a generalized model for user communications
• Developing database models and schemas while insuring data integrity
• Delivering precise and personal recommendations to our users
• Developing best practices and tests
You’re a strong engineer who enjoys collaborating with different teams. You care about code review as both a chance to share your work and to learn from others. You focus on well-written, elegant solutions, not just the quick fix, and you never skimp on testing. You are always learning and always working to improve your craft.
• 3+ years of professional programming experience
• Experience or interest in notifications delivery (email, text messages, push notifications)
• You have a CS/CE degree or equivalent professional experience
• You love seeing your work get into production quickly
Why we work here
• We are located in downtown San Francisco, within walking distance of Caltrain and BART
• Health benefits: 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
• Generous PTO policy plus we close for the last week in December
• 401k matching
• Paid Parental leave
• Monthly wellness budget and fully paid membership to our onsite fitness facility
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
• Apple laptops and any equipment you want to customize your work station
• Free Scribd membership and a yearly reading stipend!
• Company events that include monthly happy hours and offsites (past events include Santa Cruz, bowling, arcades, geocaching, ropes courses, etc.)
In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance. We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.