Senior Software Engineer, Recommendations Team
San Francisco OR Remote - AZ, CA, DC, FL, MO, NJ, NY, OH, OR, TX, WA
Engineering – Recommendations
1. a tech company changing the way the world reads
2. a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, sheet music, news, and magazines
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the Team
The Recommendations team at Scribd owns the platform to create personalized recommendations for our users. Delivering effective recommendations for books, audiobooks and documents (user generated content) is a crucial part of creating a great experience, as we serve over 6B+ recommendations a month to 100M+ visitors.
We’re looking for engineers who have expertise in crafting robust and highly scalable solutions using efficient design patterns, modular code and the relevant algorithms.
• You'll have the opportunity to drive the architecture of the system.
• Own the design and development of critical components of the Recommendations Platform.
• Implement creative solutions using algorithms to solve business problems through recommendations
• You enjoy owning core components of the platform and creating highly scalable solutions to complex problems.
• You are constantly working to improve your craft.
• You care about the full stack of architecture, design patterns, code reviews and deployment
• You're comfortable discussing the merits of different algorithms, data structures and distributed systems
• 5+ years of experience in design and development of large scale platforms/services
• 2+ years of experience working on recommender systems
• Familiarity with developing and scaling Machine Learning models
• Experience in Scala, and/or Spark
• Experience with Ruby is a plus
• Bachelor’s in CS or equivalent professional experience
Why we work here
• We are located in downtown San Francisco, just a few minutes’ walk from BART
• Health benefits: 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
• Generous PTO policy plus we close for the last week in December
• 401k matching
• Paid Parental leave
• Monthly wellness budget and fully paid membership to our onsite fitness facility
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
• Apple laptops and any equipment you want to customize your work station
• Free Scribd membership and a yearly reading stipend!
• Company events that include monthly happy hours and offsites (past events include Santa Cruz, bowling, arcades, geocaching, ropes courses, etc.)
In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance. We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.