Engineering Manager, Frontend
San Francisco Office
Engineering – Web Development
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of unique characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, and more.
In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, we also create our own original content exclusively for Scribd users.
Our community includes over 1M subscribers in more than 190 countries. Join us in turning screen time into quality time!
About the Role
The Web team at Scribd is growing rapidly as we are responsible for many high impactful focus areas for the business and our customers. As we are scaling, there is a strong need for an Engineering Manager to come onboard and lead a subset of cross-functional teams focusing on SEO and Acquisition.
About the Team
Our engineers collaborate with Product Managers, UX Designers, Quality Engineers, Project Managers and Data Scientists in cross-functional teams for product roadmap and execution. Scribd serves on an average 3-5 million page views per day to both desktop and mobile web users; For both these platforms code size, speed, and aesthetics play a major role in our success.
We carefully deliver new features via experiments, also known as A/B tests, giving developers a safe path to validate improvements at our tremendous scale. Going forward, we are going to increase the number, velocity, and diversity of our experiments; To accommodate these new and different experiments, our codebase must be nimble, cohesive and easy to deploy.
We strongly believe in building a solid infrastructure to support our product vision and maintain the health of the code base. Some of the recent infrastructure projects include building a shared react component library, re-architecting our translation system and integrating visual regression tools for cross-browser and cross-platform testing.
As part of our AWS migration, the web team has the opportunity to build and continuously deploy front-end focused micro-services containing Single Page Applications. Our current web architecture is fairly monolithic with a React frontend, and a Ruby on Rails backend. We’re trending towards backends composed of services, with frontends accessing data via API.
- Partner with technical Leads and Senior engineers to drive the engineering roadmap that reduces technical debt and supports the product vision.
- Inculcate industry standard software engineering best practices in the team.
- Work with recruiters to hire and build a diverse team of talented engineers for the growing business needs.
- Demonstrate the value of engineer’s work through the lens of customer/business impact and increase productivity.
- Work with Product Managers to drive Scribd’s core business metrics for SEO, Acquisition, Onboarding and Subscriber experience.
- Lead, coach and mentor engineers by having regular 1-1s and building strong relationships. Enable them to be self aware by providing honest feedback.
- Help set ambitious OKRs that empower the engineers to learn new skills and grow in their career.
- Remove obstacles in execution by effective communication and keeping the processes lean.
- 3+ years of experience in an engineering management role.
- Strong computer science fundamentals, ideally from a computer science degree.
- Clear communication and are able to represent your team to engineering and non-engineering audiences.
- You really enjoy working with people and coaching them to improve performance.
- You are an emphatic leader who deeply cares about the engineers and their careers.
- An excellent software engineering aptitude and the ability to provide technical direction and mentorship.
Benefits & Perks of Life at Scribd
• Health & Welfare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 60% of dependents.
• Leaves: Paid Parental leave, and 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Performance bonuses and Spot bonuses
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Catered meals - breakfast, lunch & dinner catered 5 days/week
• Referral bonuses
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Diversity, Equity & Inclusion programs
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness benefit + free onsite gym
• Luma by Concern, our mental health digital platform
• Work Life Balance flexibility
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.