Senior Manager, Search Engineering
San Francisco OR Remote US/Canada /
Engineering – Search /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.4M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
About the team:
We, at Scribd, are investing in engineering and our team is growing rapidly. We’re looking for an experienced engineering manager to help guide and develop our search features and lead the team of engineers focused on building our ever-smarter searches. Our engineers are smart, dedicated, and they love solving difficult challenges and pushing themselves to rethink the way they write software. They look to their manager for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship and honest feedback. They rely on their leadership to guide productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean. As a manager, your job is to keep your team efficient and executing on the right goals, to meet the needs of both the product and the engineers.
Your Search Team has already accomplished some impressive goals. They have created algorithms that connect our 100 million unique visitors a month to the 100 million documents they are looking for. This team has met this immense technical challenge all while providing ever more refined search options to our readers. They make possible the soul and center of the Scribd experience
You are experienced in leading, coaching and mentoring software development teams that deliver stable, high-quality software. You have a technical background, are able to contribute to planning and design discussions, and believe in building teams and practices that scale. You can motivate and instill a strong sense of ownership and pride in your team. You know and care about software engineering standards and methodologies. You know how to make this team shine and by extension, all of Scribd.
- Manage a growing search engineering team to deliver on key company goals as it relates to creating algorithms and machine learning models that will ensure that every search leads to what our readers are looking for.
- Have regular 1:1s with the search team and perform annual performance evaluations.
- Maintain our happy and healthy culture, and advocate for your engineers across the company.
- Act as the hiring manager for the search team, screening resumes, performing interviews and growing the team with the best talent the world has to offer.
- Triage Jira tickets as they are filed. Ensure the important work gets done and that the engineers’ workloads are perfectly balanced.
- Have a sense of a management style that works for you, a leadership approach and a philosophy that is flexible to adapt to the needs and style of your team.
- Define goals and timelines, unblock obstacles, tackle questions and challenges that arise so your team can continue to focus on programming.
- Ensure your team’s codebase, tooling & dependencies are up to date.
- Demonstrated progression in technical capability throughout your career, especially in server-side engineering.
- Experience directly managing 4 or more engineers.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and lead technical teams, including performance management.
- Strong computer science fundamentals, ideally from a computer science degree.
- Experience collaborating with designers, product managers, and other engineering leaders.
- Excellent software engineering aptitude and the ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance
Benefits, Perks and Wellbeing at Scribd
• Healthcare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents
• Leaves: Paid parental leave, 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans, and milestone Sabbaticals
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion hiring best practices
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Concern mental health digital platform
• Work-life balance flexibility
• Employee Resource Groups that build community and support among employees
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
• Monthly inclusive multi-cultural celebrations & learning opportunities
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.