Remote - US/Canada /
Engineering – Data Engineering /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.4M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
What you'll do
Data quality and integrity are two areas of focus for your work in our existing, organically-grown data infrastructure. You will assist with building tools and technology to ensure that downstream customers can have faith in the data they're consuming. Based on the project, this might involve cross-functional work with the Data Science or Content Engineering teams to troubleshoot, process, or optimize our business-critical pipelines, or working with Core Platform to implement better processing jobs for scaling our consumption of streaming data sets. Almost everything you would be working on would be to increase the "customer satisfaction" for internal customers of Scribd data.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (we're remote!).
- You have at least 3 years of experience in data engineering creating or managing end to end data pipelines on large complex datasets.
- You have engineered scalable software using big data technologies (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Flink, Samza, Storm, Elasticsearch, Druid, Cassandra, etc).
- Fluency with at least one dialect of SQL .
- Expertise in Scala, Java, or Python.
- You have worked on and have knowledge of Streaming platforms, typically based around Kafka.
- Strong grasp of AWS data platform services and their strengths/weaknesses.
- Strong experience using Jira, Slack, JetBrains IDEs, Git, GitLab, GitHub, Docker, Jenkins, Terraform.
- Experience using DataBricks.
Benefits, Perks and Wellbeing at Scribd
• Healthcare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents
• Leaves: Paid parental leave, 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans, and milestone Sabbaticals
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion hiring best practices
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Concern mental health digital platform
• Work-life balance flexibility
• Employee Resource Groups that build community and support among employees
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
• Monthly inclusive multi-cultural celebrations & learning opportunities
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.