Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails) - Payments
San Francisco OR Remote US/Canada /
Engineering – Payments /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we work to change the way the world reads by building the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals, and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.5M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
About The Payments Team
Our team’s mission is to grow revenue with sophisticated, reliable, and secure domestic and international payments. The Payments team works on exciting projects that cover Product, Infrastructure, Finance, and assisting the Frontend teams via APIs. We are in an interesting phase of applying machine learning to optimize authorization rates and personalize user's payment experience.
About the Role
A Software Engineer on the Payments team would oversee:
- Implementing projects considering quality, maintainability, performance, scale, and observability throughout the development process.
- Writing clear technical documentation based on the project proposals.
- Improving or building solutions that address the architectural gaps and technical debt.
- Working with our NWay testing framework for product development.
- Collaborating with our Product and Data teams to analyze data and plan a course of action.
- Collaborating with our Finance team to track and maintain financial integrityCollaborating with the Security team to find the instances of Fraud and put Security practices in place to mitigate them.
- Assisting promotional events including plans, bundles and sales rolled out by our excellent Marketing team.
- Advising on technical design, reviewing code, participating in interviews, and mentoring junior team members.
Office or Remote?
We have a wonderful new office in San Francisco, as well as smaller offices in Toronto and New York. If you live close to one of those you'll find great people and a nice work environment. If you don't live near one of those offices, we'd still love to have you! Scribd is expanding its remote workforce with the goal of finding the best employees regardless of location. Being a remote employee means providing your own productive workspace, and everything else is pretty similar to being an office employee. We expect remote employees to have solid communication skills, good judgment, and demonstrable personal responsibility. We also expect the same from our in-office employees, so you'll be in good company.
We’re looking for talented engineers with exceptional problem-solving skills who want to work unassisted and own large, complicated projects. You’re comfortable in dealing with complexity, ambiguity, lots of moving pieces while coordinating with third parties, and cross-functional teams. You have attention to detail, ability to identify and solve edge cases. You’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
- 3+ years experience in software engineering
- Strong background or interest in building successful web-services
- Experience shipping production-level, clean, maintainable code
- Strong comprehension of data structures and algorithms with a focus on applied problem solving
- Bachelor's or higher in mathematics, computer science, physics, or equivalent experience
- Strong SQL skills and the ability to evaluate and own large and complex datasets
- Ability to communicate effectively and proactively with the team and stakeholders
- Ability to work collaboratively on cross-functional teams with product, data science, and other engineering teams
- Experience working with distributed systems.
- Payments experience is preferred but not mandatory.
Benefits, Perks, and Wellbeing at Scribd
• Healthcare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents
• Leaves: Paid parental leave, 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans and milestone Sabbaticals
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion programs which include learning & development opportunities, employee resource groups, and hiring best practices.
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Concern mental health digital platform
• Work-life balance flexibility
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.