Senior Software Engineer I (Full stack, Front-End Focused)
San Francisco OR Remote US/Canada /
Engineering – Web Development /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.4M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
About the Web Development Team
We’ve built a library of millions of books, audiobooks, magazine articles, sheet music collections, and user uploaded documents. 90% of millions of active users discover Scribd and continue to engage with content and build their libraries using our website. This team works across the stack with a strong focus on front end work.
We’re looking for diverse, well-rounded, communicative engineers to help empower our readers to indulge their curiosities and expand their knowledge by building quality products and user experiences. Our projects tend to be 1-2 front end engineers at a time, so trust, accountability, and excellent communication skills are extremely important. This role will join the Web Subscriber UX team, which focuses on delivering product features that will improve our users' experience.
Full-cycle software development will be your primary function, but we'll expect you to contribute in a number of ways, including advising on others' technical design, reviewing code, participating in interviews, and mentoring less experienced engineers. When you are doing software development, you'll be doing more than just coding a ticket handed to you. You'll contribute to the code strategy and architecture, implementation, delivery, and operation of systems, end-to-end. You'll consider testability, upgradeability, scalability, and observability throughout the development process. You'll regularly partner with one or two engineers.
Our online applications use React, Redux and server side rendering using Hypernova on the frontend and Rails, MySQL on the backend. We use Sidekiq to run background jobs and Databricks environment for offline data processing.
Some of our Key Focus Areas:
- SEO - with a library of millions of books, audiobooks and documents, search engine optimization is about a lot more than having a good sitemap.
- Responsive Web - desktop, tablet, phone – whatever device you have, we want you to be able to read!
- Site speed. How fast is fast enough? Faster! Measure, optimize, repeat...
- Accessibility - do you know what ARIA attributes are? Ever use a screen reader? We’re bringing Scribd up to WCAG level-AA to make reading work for folks who use assistive technology
- Front end infrastructure - We strongly believe in code reuse and simplicity. We are working on shareable react component library to make our product development simple, fast and consistent.
- Experience with Redux, CSS Modules is a plus.
- Knowledge of npm, yarn, babel and webpack
- Passionate about testing. Previous experience writing unit and integration tests with frameworks like Jest, Rspec, Enzyme, Cypress, Selenium, WebdriverIO etc.
- Experience working with data pipelines, both real-time and batch offline.
- Experience de-bugging issues in a complex modern web architecture which includes: distributed systems, CDN, image servers, databases, asynchronous web services, CSRF, cross site scripting, etc.
Benefits, Perks and Wellbeing at Scribd
• Healthcare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents
• Leaves: Paid parental leave, 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans, and milestone Sabbaticals
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion hiring best practices
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Concern mental health digital platform
• Work-life balance flexibility
• Employee Resource Groups that build community and support among employees
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
• Monthly inclusive multi-cultural celebrations & learning opportunities
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.