Senior Infrastructure Engineer
San Francisco Office
Engineering – Core Infrastructure
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of unique characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, and more.
In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, we also create our own original content exclusively for Scribd users.
Our community includes over 1M subscribers in more than 190 countries. Join us in turning screen time into quality time!
What you'll do
Core Infrastructure plays a fundamental role in both our on-premise infrastructure and our efforts to upgrade infrastructure towards AWS. As an infrastructure engineer you will be part of implementing the infrastructure to support the continued growth of Scribd's foundation. You will be part of the team which manages our existing on-premise datacenter, while helping service owners move into a newer AWS-centric model. You will help in this shift from a traditional operations organization into a services-organization which provides key components to our backend technology stack such as: container orchestration infrastructure, logging services, monitoring and alerting patterns, caching layers, and relational/non-relational clustered data storage. You and your team will educate developers and help delegate traditional operational responsibilities to teams which are already taking an increased level of ownership of their production environment. Sharing your experience and good judgement will be crucial to helping these teams scale their services operationally for years to come.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (we're remote!)
- Mentoring skills: experience with training and educating teammates or colleagues on contemporary operational best practices.
- Infrastructure engineering passion
- Experience with infrastructure as code tools and thoughts about their respective strengths and weaknesses
- Software development background, for example: familiarity with git and common software development practices, ability to write tests, and being capable of reading and understanding the code in order to participate in the code review process.
- Positive attitude! Operations can breed cynicism and we can only succeed with a shared belief that we can solve the hard problems.
- Ability to lead deep technical design discussions within your team, and across partner teams.
- Strong understanding of AWS platform services and their strengths/weaknesses.
- GCP or Azure experience is also good
- Experience managing clustered data applications
- Experience working to improve 24/7 on-call rotations, reducing alert fatigue and improving automation
- Experience with datacenter or major cloud migrations.
- Ability to read code written Ruby or Python
- Ability to write code in Go and Bash
- Ability to debug YAML :)
Benefits & Perks of Life at Scribd
• Health & Welfare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 60% of dependents.
• Leaves: Paid Parental leave, and 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Performance bonuses and Spot bonuses
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Catered meals - breakfast, lunch & dinner catered 5 days/week
• Referral bonuses
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Diversity, Equity & Inclusion programs
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness benefit + free onsite gym
• Luma by Concern, our mental health digital platform
• Work Life Balance flexibility
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.