Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Remote: US, Canada
Engineering – Core Infrastructure
What you'll do
Core Infrastructure plays a fundamental role in both our on-premise infrastructure and our efforts to upgrade infrastructure towards AWS. As an infrastructure engineer you will be part of implementing the infrastructure to support the continued growth of Scribd's foundation. You will be part of the team which manages our existing on-premise datacenter, while helping service owners move into a newer AWS-centric model. You will help in this shift from a traditional operations organization into a services-organization which provides key components to our backend technology stack such as: container orchestration infrastructure, logging services, monitoring and alerting patterns, caching layers, and relational/non-relational clustered data storage. You and your team will educate developers and help delegate traditional operational responsibilities to teams which are already taking an increased level of ownership of their production environment. Sharing your experience and good judgement will be crucial to helping these teams scale their services operationally for years to come.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (we're remote!)
- Mentoring skills: experience with training and educating teammates or colleagues on contemporary operational best practices.
- Infrastructure engineering passion
- Experience with infrastructure as code tools and thoughts about their respective strengths and weaknesses
- Software development background, for example: familiarity with git and common software development practices, ability to write tests, and being capable of reading and understanding the code in order to participate in the code review process.
- Positive attitude! Operations can breed cynicism and we can only succeed with a shared belief that we can solve the hard problems.
- Ability to lead deep technical design discussions within your team, and across partner teams.
- Strong understanding of AWS platform services and their strengths/weaknesses.
- GCP or Azure experience is also good
- Experience managing clustered data applications
- Experience working to improve 24/7 on-call rotations, reducing alert fatigue and improving automation
- Experience with datacenter or major cloud migrations.
- Ability to read code written Ruby or Python
- Ability to write code in Go and Bash
- Ability to debug YAML :)