Senior Data Scientist
San Francisco OR Remote US Canada /
Product, Design, & Analytics – Business Strategy & Analytics /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we work to change the way the world reads by building the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals, and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.9 M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
Have you heard about our future of work program, Scribd Flex? As a key principle, we embrace flexibility and allow employees, in partnership with their manager, to choose the work-style that best suits their individual needs and preferences. And, we create intentional in-person moments with each other that build culture and connection.
About the Role
The business strategy and analytics team is looking for a proactive, innovative Senior Product Data Scientist to drive the analytics powering our premium content strategy. The role will require you to conceptualize the value of our content from both the consumer and business standpoints, provide clear insights on value to our content acquisition team, and shape the roadmap for our content deals pipeline. To succeed, you will need to coordinate closely with our deal team, and provide them with clearly communicated, evidence-based opinions on how to maximize the value of our content spending. We are looking for a data scientist who thrives on having large ownership over a product used by 80M people a month, is comfortable navigating uncharted territories to uncover customer needs and translating them into compelling strategies, demonstrates excellent communication skills to a wide array of stakeholders, and can scope business objectives into clear solutions.
- Coordinate closely with our Content Acquisition team and Product Managers to craft a compelling vision and strategy, driving significant, long-term benefits to both the consumer and businessDesign and run our content testing strategy, recommending impactful research areas, OKRs to monitor and primary success criteria. Act on a practical testing philosophy that balances the need for clarity with the goal of moving fast and achieving big wins for the consumer and businessContinuously monitor progress against our OKRs and make adjustments as circumstances change. Communicate frequently and clearly with stakeholders on how we’re progressing against our goals, learnings we have, risks we foresee and where we need support from the organization.
- Drive research and recommendations on what provides value in our content catalog, and identify gaps in content which our deal term could pursue to maximize ROI
- Shape the analytics behind our premium catalog reporting strategy, working with executives to turn opportunity areas in our data into clear, scalable insights
- Design and run our content testing strategy, recommending impactful research areas, OKRs to monitor and primary success criteria. Act on a practical testing philosophy that balances the need for clarity with the goal of moving fast and achieving big wins for the consumer and business
- Continuously monitor progress against our OKRs and make adjustments as circumstances change. Communicate frequently and clearly with stakeholders on how we’re progressing against our goals, learnings we have, risks we foresee and where we need support from the organization.
- Experience proactively solving problems in coordination with driven stakeholders, forming their objectives into clear solutions with deliverables, timelines, and a sense of impact
- Experience structuring and performing rigorous data analysis on large, complex data sets. Proficiency with statistics, regression, and trend analysis. Skill with advanced methods such as simulation, linear programming and causal inference modeling is a strong plus.
- Technical excellence in SQL. Financial modeling experience is a plus
- Excellent communication skills, with experience sharing and summarizing complex technical findings to a wide array of stakeholders
- User empathy to thought partner on what content and products would drive the most value for consumers. Ability to manage up and across to get alignment and drive influence. We need the support of many teams, including eStaff, to execute on our strategy.
At Scribd, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package and is determined within a range. Our pay ranges are based on the local cost of labor benchmarks for each specific role, level, and geographic location. San Francisco is our highest geographic market in the United States. In the state of California, the reasonably expected salary range is between $130,500 [minimum salary in our lowest geographic market within California] to $194,000 [maximum salary in our highest geographic market within California].
Outside of California, the reasonably expected salary range is between $107,500 [minimum salary in our lowest US geographic market outside of California] to $184,250 [maximum salary in our highest US geographic market outside of California].
We carefully consider a wide range of factors when determining compensation, including but not limited to experience; job-related skill sets; relevant education or training; and other business and organizational needs. The salary range listed is for the level at which this job has been scoped. In the event that you are considered for a different level, a higher or lower pay range would apply. This position is also eligible for a competitive equity ownership, and a comprehensive and generous benefits package.
Benefits, Perks, and Wellbeing at Scribd
*Benefits/perks listed may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Scribd and the geographical location where you work.
• Healthcare Insurance Coverage (Medical/Dental/Vision): 100% paid for employees
• 12 weeks paid parental leave
• Short-term/long-term disability plans
• 401k/RSP matching
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Learning & Development programs
• Quarterly stipend for Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort
• Mental Health support & resources
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
• Referral Bonuses
• Book Benefit
• Company wide events
• Team engagement budgets
• Vacation & Personal Days
• Paid Holidays (+ winter break)
• Flexible Sick Time
• Volunteer Day
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion programs
Want to learn more about life at Scribd? www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
We want our interview process to be accessible to everyone. You can inform us of any reasonable adjustments we can make to better accommodate your needs by emailing email@example.com about the need for adjustments at any point in the interview process.
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply, and believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.
Remote employees must have their primary residence in: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, DC, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Ontario (Canada), British Columbia (Canada), or Mexico. *This list may not be complete or accurate, and candidates should speak with their recruiter about their specific location for remote work.