Senior Software Engineer - Search Relevance
San Francisco OR Remote US/Canada
Engineering – Search
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of unique characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, and more.
In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, we also create our own original content exclusively for Scribd users.
Our community includes over 1M subscribers in more than 190 countries. Join us in turning screen time into quality time!
About the team
• We are constantly striving to improve search in various dimensions - Quality, Relevance, Speed, Costs, Real-time indexing, Uptime etc.
• We work in very small groups on each project to be fast and efficient.
• We keep it simple, keep it honest, and really strive to make Search better.
• We have fun working together (including building modded keyboards)
What you’ll do
• You'll be responsible for working to enhance every aspect of the search experience: from indexing data to organization of the search results.
• Help build systems to evaluate search quality, relevance and improving the metrics.
• Write elegant beautifully simple code in Ruby and …..
• Create out of the box solutions to help resolve search challenges.
• Design and develop high performance and highly available services used by millions of people every day.
• Collaborate with product managers and other key partners to help influence the next wave of search innovation.
• Be a part of a high performing Engineering team
• B.S. in Computer Science or equivalentStrong knowledge of CS fundamental concepts and OOP languages
• 2+ years of experience working on search/ranking/relevance problems
• Strong knowledge of CS fundamental concepts and OOP languages
• Solid understanding good design principles that work well for large scale data
• Good troubleshooting skills to help debug and fix production issues in high availability systems
• Ability to form creative solutions, often when working with ambiguity.
• You can talk to product people and can translate technical requirements into achievable solutions.
• You believe in frequent releases and in building software that is easy to deploy and pain-free to operate.
Ideally, you have
• Strong expertise with ElasticSearch, Solr or lucene