Software Engineer, Recommendation Algorithms
San Francisco OR Remote - AZ, CA, DC, FL, MO, NJ, NY, OH, OR, TX, WA
Engineering – Recommendations
1. a tech company changing the way the world reads
2. a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, sheet music, news, and magazines
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the Team
The Recommendations team at Scribd owns the platform to create personalized recommendations for Scribd users. Creating effective recommendations for books and documents is a crucial part of highlighting the right set of content to Scribd users, based on the inference of their preferences. The Recommendations team uses state of the art technologies in Data Analytics and Machine Learning to provide a scalable, high performance solution to create personalized recommendations for millions of users.
We are continuously innovating and improving the capabilities of the Recommendations Platform to achieve high levels of user engagement by creating personalized recommendations. We’re looking for engineers who have a strong expertise in creating robust and highly scalable data processing solutions using large scale Data Analytics and Machine Learning technologies.
• You'll be responsible for driving the innovation on the Recommendations Platform to enhance existing features as well as build new capabilities to create personalized recommendations.
• Owning the design and development of critical components of the Recommendations Platform.
• Analyzing customer activity using technologies such as Hive and Spark to identify the core set of attributes used for Data Analytics and Machine Learning models.
• Implementing complex Machine Learning algorithms using technologies such as Spark ML to create personalized recommendations of books, documents and other content.
• Owning the interface between the Recommendations Platform and the UI frontend to provide a low latency, highly available API.
• Working closely with the Data Science team to design and execute A/B tests, analyze metrics, understand KPIs and identify next steps to continuously improve the user experience.
• Collaborating with cross functional teams to review requirements and owning design and implementation activities for cross-team dependencies.
• You’re a strong hands on Software Engineer who enjoys owning core components of the platform and creating highly scalable solutions to complex problems.
• You are always learning and always working to improve your craft.
• You are passionate about achieving cross team collaboration and setting best practices for the team in areas such as architecture, design, coding, code reviews and production rollout.
• 3+ years of experience in design and development of large scale platforms/services.
• Familiarity with developing Machine Learning models using Spark ML or other ML frameworks and using A/B testing to measure effectiveness.
• Experience in Ruby, Hive, Spark and Scala would be a plus.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional experience.
Why we work here
• We are located in downtown San Francisco, just a few minutes’ walk from BART
• Health benefits: 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
• Generous PTO policy plus we close for the last week in December
• 401k matching
• Paid Parental leave
• Monthly wellness budget and fully paid membership to our onsite fitness facility
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
• Apple laptops and any equipment you want to customize your work station
• Free Scribd membership and a yearly reading stipend!
• Company events that include monthly happy hours and offsites (past events include Santa Cruz, bowling, arcades, geocaching, ropes courses, etc.)
In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance. We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.