Senior Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
San Francisco OR Remote US/Canada /
Engineering – Payments /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors. Our community includes over 1.4 M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
About the Payments Team
Our team’s mission is to grow revenue with sophisticated, reliable and secure domestic and international payments. The Payments team works on exciting projects that covers Product, Infrastructure, Finance and supporting the Frontend teams via APIs. We are in an interesting phase of applying machine learning to optimize authorization rates and personalize user's payment experience.
About the Role
A senior engineer on the Payments team would be responsible for:
- Leading and implementing projects considering quality, maintainability, performance, scale, and observability throughout the development process.
- Writing clear technical documentation based on the project proposals.
- Improving or building solutions that address the architectural gaps and technical debt.
- Working with our NWay testing framework for product development.
- Collaborating with our Product and Data teams to analyze data and plan a course of action.
- Collaborating with our Finance team to track and maintain financial integrity
- Collaborating with the Security team to find the instances of Fraud and put Security practices in place to mitigate them.
- Supporting promotional events including plans, bundles and sales rolled out by our excellent Marketing team.
- Advising on technical design, reviewing code, participating in interviews and mentoring junior team members.
Office or Remote?
We have a wonderful new office in San Francisco, as well as smaller offices in Toronto and New York. If you live close to one of those you'll find great people and a nice work environment. If you don't live near one of those offices, we'd still love to have you! Scribd is expanding its remote workforce with the goal of finding the best employees regardless of location. Being a remote employee means providing your own productive work environment, and everything else is pretty similar to being an office employee. We expect remote employees to have solid communication skills, good judgement, and demonstrable personal responsibility. We also expect the same from our in-office employees, so you'll be in good company.
We’re looking for talented engineers with exceptional problem-solving skills who want to work independently and own large, complicated projects. You’re comfortable in dealing with complexity, ambiguity, lots of moving pieces while coordinating with third parties, and cross-functional teams. You have attention to detail, ability to identify and solve edge-cases. You’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
- 5+ years experience in software engineering
- Strong background or interest in building successful web-services
- Experience shipping production-level, clean, maintainable code
- Strong comprehension of data structures and algorithms with a focus on applied problem solving
- Bachelor's or higher in mathematics, computer science, physics, or equivalent experience
- Strong SQL skills and the ability to evaluate and own large and complex datasets
At Scribd, we value people above everything else. We're building a diverse workplace and an inclusive culture to give more people the chance to change the way the world reads. Scribd is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply because we believe that a diverse set of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.