Senior Software Engineer
San Francisco Office
Engineering – Payments
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of unique characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, and more.
In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, we also create our own original content exclusively for Scribd users.
Our community includes over 1M subscribers in more than 190 countries. Join us in turning screen time into quality time!
About the Team
We believe in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We’re looking for engineers who share this view and are excited about writing quality code, trying new technologies, and playing well with others. This team works on challenging and exciting features including recommendations, search, payments and the mobile app API, so we use a wide variety of technologies including Ruby on Rails, Scala, Go, ElasticSearch, Spark/Hadoop, MySQL, Cassandra and Redis.
Some of our recent projects include:
Building the world's best recommendation engine for books. We analyze large amounts of data that allows us to correlate our huge library to each individual user, offering a very personalized experience maximizing user engagement and exploration.
Improving search quality by implementing and tuning multiple ranking algorithms, indexing schemes, and better search suggestions.
Implementation of a world-class subscription payment service that allows users to use their favorite payment methods to sign up for Scribd. We continue to optimize for authorization success, using advanced data analysis and machine learning techniques.
Implementing a state-of-the-art notifications system to allow us to effectively communicate with our customers, and rapidly a/b test our messaging.
Internal tools that glue together all of our infrastructure and coordinate the moving parts (analytics, anomaly detection, a/b testing platform, task pipelines, image server and many more).
We’re looking for strong engineers with exceptional problem-solving skills who want to work independently and own large, complicated projects. You’re comfortable in dealing with complexity, lots of moving pieces, coordinating with third parties, and cross-functional teams. You have exquisite attention to detail, ability to identify and solve edge-cases. You’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems. Collaboration, time management, and communication are as important as your technical skills.
• 5+ years experience in software engineering
• Strong background or interest in building successful web-services
• Experience shipping production-level, clean, maintainable code
• Strong understanding of data structures and algorithms with a focus on applied problem solving
• Bachelor's or higher in mathematics, computer science, physics, or equivalent experience
• Strong SQL skills and the ability to analyze and own large and complex datasets
Benefits & Perks of Life at Scribd
• Health & Welfare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 60% of dependents.
• Leaves: Paid Parental leave, and 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Performance bonuses and Spot bonuses
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Catered meals - breakfast, lunch & dinner catered 5 days/week
• Referral bonuses
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Diversity, Equity & Inclusion programs
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness benefit + free onsite gym
• Luma by Concern, our mental health digital platform
• Work Life Balance flexibility
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.