Senior Backend Engineer - Payments Platform
San Francisco OR Remote US/Canada /
Engineering – Payments /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we work to change the way the world reads by building the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals, and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.5M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
About the Payments team
Our team’s mission is to grow revenue with sophisticated, reliable, and secure domestic and international payments. We strive to make the Payments experience for our users as smooth and intuitive as possible. The Payments team works on exciting projects that cover Product, Platform Infrastructure, Finance, Compliance, and assisting the Frontend teams via the APIs. We are in an interesting phase of applying machine learning to optimize authorization rates and personalize user's payment experience.
We are looking for a talented engineer who would lead the Payments Platform efforts on our team. Whether or not you have experience being a Payments engineer if you would like to work on challenging projects to learn and develop new skills, come join us!
About the Role
- We are building our payments platform into a service-oriented architecture to assist the growth of our business. You will have the opportunity to influence the way we build our platform which helps in having shorter iterations on feature development which has a direct impact on growth and revenue.
- We want to continue building our platform to have a more sophisticated checkout experience by establishing contracts with the clients and you will have the opportunity to work on our payments infrastructure to create a platform that helps our API consumers to integrate with payment systems quickly and efficiently.
- You would be leading and implementing projects considering quality, maintainability, performance, scale, and observability throughout the development process.
- Writing technical documentation based on the project proposals.
- Improving or building solutions that address the architectural gaps and technical debt.
- Advising on technical design, reviewing code, participating in interviews, and mentoring junior team members.
- A bachelor or masters degree in computer science or a related field
- 5-8 years of industry experience on large scale distributed systems
- Ability to write production-level, clean, maintainable code
- Experience in any of the following: Ruby/Ruby on Rails, Python, Go, Scala
- Ability to communicate effectively and proactively with the team and stakeholders
- Ability to work collaboratively on cross-functional teams with product, data science, and other engineering teams and experience working with scalable, reliable, and high availability services.
- Payments experience is preferred but not mandatory.
Office or Remote?
We have a wonderful new office in San Francisco, as well as smaller offices in Toronto and New York. If you live close to one of those you'll find great people and a nice workplace. If you don't live near one of those offices, we'd still love to have you! Scribd is expanding its remote workforce with the goal of finding the best employees regardless of location. Being a remote employee means providing your own productive workplace, and everything else is pretty similar to being an office employee. We expect remote employees to have solid communication skills, good judgment, and demonstrable personal responsibility. We also expect the same from our in-office employees, so you'll be in good company.
Benefits, Perks, and Wellbeing at Scribd
• Healthcare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents
• Leaves: Paid parental leave, 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans and milestone Sabbaticals
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion programs which include learning & development opportunities, employee resource groups, and hiring best practices.
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Concern mental health digital platform
• Work-life balance flexibility
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.