Vice President, Engineering
San Francisco OR Remote US/Canada /
Engineering – Engineering /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.4M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
About the role:
The engineering team at Scribd is looking for a passionate, driven, innovative and strategic technology leader who can lead our growing mobile and web technology teams along with a number of full-stack teams including the newly formed Slideshare development team. The Scribd product connects people with a wide variety of content across the responsive web, iOS, and Android. We support user-uploaded content, premium published titles, and our own original published works. We have a complex technical system that supports massive traffic as well as high-touch reading and listening activity. Growing & scaling the engineering organization to keep up with the desired high growth of the business is a key aspect of this role along with modernizing the architecture of legacy systems. This role comes with an incredible opportunity for impact not only from a technology perspective but also to help scale the organization both via acquiring new talent but also with mentoring & growth of the existing team.
- You have experience managing large-scale cross-platform teams.
- You have experience with large-scale architectural migrations and tech debt reduction efforts.
- You are a great manager and team builder.
- You have experience mentoring and helping cultivate emerging leaders.
- You communicate clearly and effectively with technical and non-technical audiences.
- You are deep technically and can mentor and guide all levels of engineers.
- You're self-directed towards generating outcomes vs output.
- You care about building highly efficient teams that can move fast, learn & iterate quickly.
- Lead the overall planning, development, and deployment of our websites and native mobile applications.
- Mentor & grow a 40+ distributed, diverse engineering team focused on application software and full-stack development of the Scribd & Slideshare products.
- Define and drive architectural strategy to enable a world-class customer experience that includes quality, scalability, and resilience as default characteristics.
- Partner closely with cross-functional teams including product management, design, performance marketing, business analytics and others throughout the business to build a clear vision & prioritized roadmap for the organization.
- Formulate and execute process and organizational improvements to enhance overall effectiveness & velocity.
- Define how we approach engineering scale & technical debt reductions, driving for speed and efficiency in our development processes.
- Formulate and execute process and organizational improvements which enhancing overall effectiveness; proactively seek ways to improve people and management processes.
- Determine OKRs, project planning and resource requirements to accomplish projects and support users.
- Help identify issues and blockers that may delay the launch or impede the success of projects or capabilities and work with partners to communicate effectively, assess alternatives, and take action to resolve.
- Manage engineering morale, retention, culture, and performance.
- Provide career development, coaching, mentorship and sponsorship, and cultivate emerging leaders.
- 7+ years of consumer software development and software management experience, especially in managing multiple teams and managers in high growth companies.
- Strong record of thriving in a customer-obsessed product development environment with evidence of helping to define and influence overall product strategy.
- Experience in building high-scale microservice-based systems that are optimized around speed, velocity and safety of development.
- Proven track record of scaling a team in high-growth companies, not just in number of team members but also in developing team member capabilities and skills.
- History of building accountability and success by setting measurable goals and metrics for your teams.
- Ability to set strategic direction in working with senior executives, but also loves getting your hands dirty executing with the team.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing, high-growth environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, prioritize and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with internal and external partners.
- Proactive, solution-oriented mindset and approach to problem solving.
Helpful but not required:
- Experience in rearchitecting legacy systems and large scale technology modernizations focused on platform development.
- Experience in subscription business models or loyalty systems.
Benefits, Perks and Wellbeing at Scribd
• Healthcare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents
• Leaves: Paid parental leave, 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans, and milestone Sabbaticals
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion hiring best practices
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Concern mental health digital platform
• Work-life balance flexibility
• Employee Resource Groups that build community and support among employees
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
• Monthly inclusive multi-cultural celebrations & learning opportunities
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.