Senior Email Marketing Specialist
San Francisco, CA
Marketing and Editorial – Marketing
1. a tech company changing the way the world reads
2. a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, sheet music, news, and magazines
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the Job
We’re the voice of the company, and as marketers, it’s our job and our privilege to spread the word about Scribd through our email, performance marketing, partnerships, public relations, and social channels.
We are seeking an Email Marketing Specialist to manage our customer-facing email program.
The Email Marketing Specialist will implement and optimize email programs including promotional emails, triggered lifecycle and transactional emails, and marketing automation programs for Scribd’s subscription reading service.
They will create email briefs, manage projects from conception through launch and analysis, work daily with HTML/CSS and SQL, segment a database of over 100,000,000 email addresses, and be a key player in an email program with ~100 triggered and automated emails and an annual volume in excess of 300,000,000 sends. Our Salesforce Marketing Cloud instance ingests gigabytes of data every day, and the Email Marketing Specialist will be comfortable discussing APIs and database structures, and (very occasionally) jumping into our Impala shell or the command-line interface.
The Email Marketing Specialist will be responsible for emails that support company-wide initiatives, significantly impacting acquisition, engagement, and retention goals. This role will also act as the first point of contact for the email team: when customer service needs to confirm whether a customer received an email; when the VP of Marketing needs conversion numbers; when the product team needs to know the status of a transactional email; the Email Marketing Specialist will provide service with a smile.
The ideal candidate is motivated, analytical, technical, transparent, and committed to quality.
We are a small (but growing) company, and you will be a key player in our small (but mighty) email team. The successful candidate will be capable with HTML/CSS for email; segmenting lists (experience with Boolean queries is required; SQL is a bonus); creating email briefs, managing projects and interfacing with stakeholders; and using data to identify and exploit opportunities in our email program.
You should be obsessed with the art and science of email marketing (in other words, you’ll wear both a “marketer/project manager” hat as well as a “developer/analyst” hat) and be committed to producing high-quality, impactful emails. You should be excited to increase the level of personalization and timely relevance of our email program by working closely with design, engineering, product, QA, and data resources.
You’ll also need a sense of humor and a positive attitude. We push the limits of what’s possible personally and with our tools, so learning and disseminating best practices and developing workarounds on the fly are all part of the job.
If you like being a cog in a smoothly operating machine, this might not be the place for you. If you want to see your work make a major impact on a company’s bottom line, we’d love to talk!
• Manage the email creation process from conception to development and deployment.
• Produce email briefs, outlining goals, messaging, design considerations, audience segmentation, and testing plans; and then project-manage each email through asset production with design and copy resources; code the email; conduct a review process with stakeholders; hit “send”; and finally evaluate test results, analyze engagement and conversions, and document learnings.
• Work daily with HTML/CSS templates and SQL queries, troubleshooting technical issues related to HTML templates, list segmentation (SQL), and other technical aspects of email production.
Conduct quality assurance to ensure flawless execution.
• Compile campaign results, provide campaign optimization suggestions, identify best practices, and assist in institutionalization of key learnings.
• Analyze and optimize our library of triggered and automated emails and email flows, developing data-driven hypotheses and designing and implementing A/B tests to increase channel performance as measured by conversion, engagement, and retention metrics.
• Provide input and new ideas to continuously improve Scribd’s email programs and leverage new developments in the ever-evolving world of email.
• Work with stakeholders across the company to ensure on-time email sends.
• 3-5 years’ experience in email marketing or marketing automation
• Pride and passion in your ability to write and edit HTML/CSS for email
• Experience segmenting databases for targeted batch sends and automated sends, using either Boolean queries or SQL
• Experience running both one-off email campaigns as well as multi-touch journeys / marketing automation
• Experience with Jira, Asana, or other project management tools
• Experience working with Tableau, Google Analytics, Coremetrics, or other analytics tools
• Ability to manage multiple projects with multiple stakeholders in a tech-centric, deadline-driven company
• Attention to detail and an intrinsic commitment to making sure the job is done right
• Great communication skills (written and verbal) when discussing design, coding, analysis, and strategy
Bonus Points for
• Experience with a subscription-based service
• Experience with both acquisition and engagement marketing
• Experience with massive customer databases, product catalogues, and personalized recommendations and messaging
• Experience with CRM or data-driven, “customer first” marketing programs
• Experience with personalization at scale; double bonus points if it was accomplished with machine learning
• Comfort working with Slack as the primary internal communication platform
• A passion for coding, statistics, design, and other relevant fields
• A passion for learning and reading (we are an ebooks and audiobooks company, after all!)
Why we work here
• We are located in downtown San Francisco, just a few minutes’ walk from BART
• Health benefits: 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
• Generous PTO policy plus we close for the last week in December
• 401k matching
• Paid Parental leave
• Monthly wellness budget and fully paid membership to our onsite fitness facility
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
• Apple laptops and any equipment you want to customize your work station
• Free Scribd membership and a yearly reading stipend!
• Company events that include monthly happy hours and offsites (past events include Santa Cruz, bowling, arcades, geocaching, ropes courses, etc.)
In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance. We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.