Engineering Manager - iOS
San Francisco OR Remote US/Canada /
Engineering – Mobile - iOS /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors. Our community includes over 1.4M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
Scribd’s engineering team is growing rapidly and we’re looking for an experienced engineering manager to help guide and develop the iOS team. Our engineers are smart, dedicated, and they love solving difficult challenges and pushing themselves to rethink the way they write software. They look to their manager for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship and honest feedback. They rely on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean. As a manager, your job is to keep your team efficient and executing on the right goals, to meet the needs of both the product and the engineers.
You are experienced in leading, coaching and mentoring software development teams that deliver stable, high quality software. You have a technical background, are able to contribute to planning and design discussions, and believe in building teams and practices that scale. You can motivate and instill a strong sense of ownership and pride in your team. You know and care about software engineering best practices; perhaps a little too much
- Manage the 8-strong iOS engineering team, with the assistance of a lead iOS engineer.
- Have regular 1:1s with the iOS team and perform annual performance reviews.
- Maintain our happy and healthy culture, and advocate for your engineers across the company.
- Act as the hiring manager for the iOS team, screening resumes, performing interviews and growing the team with the best talent the world has to offer.
- Monitor the stability of the iOS app via internal dashboards and external stability tracking tools.
- Enforce our release train model of shipping to production every two weeks.
- Ensure that the team’s continuous integration platform (Fastlane & Gitlab CI) is dependable, trustworthy, and green.
- Triage Jira tickets as they are filed. Ensure the important work gets done and that the engineers’ workloads are perfectly balanced.
- Have a sense of a management style that works for you, but be flexible to adapt to the needs and style of your team.
- Ensure your team’s codebase, tooling & dependencies are up to date.
- Demonstrated progression in technical capability.
- Demonstrated experience directly managing 4 or more engineers.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and manage technical teams, including performance management.
- Strong computer science fundamentals, ideally from a computer science degree.
- Experience managing mobile engineers building native apps. Ideally iOS engineers.
- Engineering experience building iOS apps.
Benefits & Perks of Life at Scribd
• Health & Welfare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 60% of dependents.
• Leaves: Paid Parental leave, and 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Catered meals - breakfast, lunch & dinner catered 5 days/week
• Referral bonuses
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Diversity, Equity & Inclusion programs
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness benefit + free onsite gym
• Luma by Concern, our mental health digital platform
• Work Life Balance flexibility
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.