San Francisco OR Remote - AZ, CA, DC, FL, MO, NJ, NY, OH, OR, TX, WA
Engineering – Core Platform
1. a tech company changing the way the world reads
2. a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, sheet music, news, and magazines
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
What you'll do
Data quality and integrity are two areas of focus for your work in our existing, organically-grown data infrastructure. You would be responsible for working with product teams to clarify what data pipelines are important, and then work with them to build process, tooling, and technology to ensure that downstream customers can trust the data they're consuming. Depending on the project, this might involve collaboration with the Data Science and Content Engineering teams to identify business-critical Hive tables, or working with Core Platform to suggest better approaches for scaling streaming data sets. Almost everything you would be working on would be to increase the "customer satisfaction" for internal customers of Scribd data.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills (we're remote!)
• Experience building and delivering high quality data systems using tools from the Hadoop ecosystem
• Working knowledge of Sqoop, Hive, Impala, and HDFS.
• Fluency with at least one dialect of SQL (MySQL and Hive preferred)
• Ability to develop software, whether scripts for shuffling data around, batch tasks, or stream processing units.
• Streaming platform experience, typically based around Kafka.
-- Spark, Storm, Beam.
• Working knowledge of how to build, train, and deploy ML models.
• Strong understanding of AWS data platform services and their strengths/weaknesses.
•Opinions on what data integrity means and how to scale it up the organization
Why we work here
• We are located in downtown San Francisco, just a few minutes’ walk from BART
• Health benefits: 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
• Generous PTO policy plus we close for the last week in December
• 401k matching
• Paid Parental leave
• Monthly wellness budget and fully paid membership to our onsite fitness facility
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
• Apple laptops and any equipment you want to customize your work station
• Free Scribd membership and a yearly reading stipend!
• Company events that include monthly happy hours and offsites (past events include Santa Cruz, bowling, arcades, geocaching, ropes courses, etc.)
In the meantime, check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance. We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.