Software Engineer (Backend) - Internal Tools
Remote - US/Canada /
Engineering – Internal Tools /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.4M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
About the Team
We believe in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We’re looking for individuals who share this view and are excited about writing quality code, trying new technologies, and playing well with others.
Scribd has an immense content catalog & millions of users which means you will be able to tackle exciting & challenging projects. The software you will write will have a big impact for our company, our product and our users.
This team works on development & product tools that involve topics such as optimization, profiling, observability, infrastructure development & API design. The team uses a wide variety of technologies including Ruby on Rails, Scala, Go, ElasticSearch, Spark/Hadoop, MySQL and Redis.
We’re looking for strong engineers with exceptional problem-solving skills who want to work independently and own large, complicated projects. You’re comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces. You have exquisite attention to detail. You’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems. Collaboration, time management, and communication are as important as your technical skills.
Some of our recent projects include:
- Building well-designed, fast API endpoints for new features in our mobile apps (in Ruby and Go).
- Implementation of an in-house anomaly-detection service to automatically & intelligently detect anomalous performance & behavior pertaining to tracked historical metrics
- Rethinking our organization's approach & tooling around exception tracking, fixing and awareness.
- Modernizing our tool suite - with newer & better maintained open-source alternatives, or more performant technologies & implementations.
- Designing & implementing new pieces to our content-processing pipelines & content-streaming services
- Strong background with 1-2 years of work experience.
- Experience with either Ruby, Go, NodeJS or Python.
- Interest in building high-impact tools and successful products.
- Experience shipping clean, maintainable code that works.
- Background in algorithms with a focus on applied problem solving.
Benefits, Perks and Wellbeing at Scribd
• Healthcare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents
• Leaves: Paid parental leave, 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans, and milestone Sabbaticals
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion hiring best practices
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Concern mental health digital platform
• Work-life balance flexibility
• Employee Resource Groups that build community and support among employees
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
• Monthly inclusive multi-cultural celebrations & learning opportunities
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.