Software Engineer - Backend
Engineering – Internal Tools
1. a tech company changing the way the world reads
2. a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, sheet music, news, and magazines
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the Team
We believe in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We’re looking for individuals who share this view and are excited about writing quality code, trying new technologies, and playing well with others.
Scribd has an immense content catalog & millions of users which means you will be able to tackle exciting & challenging projects. The software you will write will have a big impact for our company, our product and our users.
This team works on development & product tools that involve topics such as optimization, profiling, observability, infrastructure development & API design. The team uses a wide variety of technologies including Ruby on Rails, Scala, Go, ElasticSearch, Spark/Hadoop, MySQL and Redis.
We’re looking for strong engineers with exceptional problem-solving skills who want to work independently and own large, complicated projects. You’re comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces. You have exquisite attention to detail. You’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems. Collaboration, time management, and communication are as important as your technical skills.
Some of our recent projects include:
- Building well-designed, fast API endpoints for new features in our mobile apps (in Ruby and Go).
- Implementation of an in-house anomaly-detection service to automatically & intelligently detect anomalous performance & behavior pertaining to tracked historical metrics
- Rethinking our organization's approach & tooling around exception tracking, fixing and awareness.
- Modernizing our tool suite - with newer & better maintained open-source alternatives, or more performant technologies & implementations.
- Designing & implementing new pieces to our content-processing pipelines & content-streaming services
- Strong background with 2 or more years of work experience. Proven ability in designing APIs
- Strong SQL skills and the ability to analyze large and complex datasets
- Experience with a number of Ruby, Go, Spark, Scala, Python.
- Interest in building high-impact tools and successful products.
- Experience shipping clean, maintainable code that works.
- Background in algorithms with a focus on applied problem solving.
Why we work here
• We are located in downtown Toronto
• Health benefits: 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
• Generous PTO policy plus we close for the last week in December
• Registered Retirement Savings Plan matching
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Apple laptops and any equipment you want to customize your work station
In the mean time, check out our office and meet some of the team at https://www.scribd.com/about
Scribd values diversity, and we make all hiring and employment decisions based on merit, qualifications, competence, talent, and contribution, not who you are by choice or circumstance. We value the people who make Scribd a great place to work and strive to create an environment where your work is supported and personhood respected.