Lead Security Engineer
San Francisco OR Remote US/Canada /
Engineering – Security Engineering /
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.4M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
About the team
We are a matrixed organization, with some dedicated security engineering team members and some team members with “day jobs” in various parts of the organization. We report to the head of engineering.
• Represent the security team in front of the organization and the executive team
• Interface with cross-functional team members, both within and outside of engineering, to determine business and technology needs/requirements
• Determine the strategic direction of information security at the company for the next 3-5 years
• Lead the selection, design, and implementation of platform and operational level controls
• Design/architect security solutions, such as a SIEM and secure secrets management
• Lead internal red team and threat hunting functions
• Assist the finance organization with developing and growing the security and compliance program
• 5+ years as a technical lead or manager of a security engineering team
• Experience securing AWS based DevOps environments, including but not limited to the security of different AWS Services, secure design of VPC architectures, best practices for IAM configuration and security of data at rest/in-transit within or across AWS accounts etc.
• Virtualized security appliances (Palo Alto, Checkpoint, Vectra, Darktrace, etc) a plus
• Software development experience with either functional or imperative languages
• Ability to perform security-focused code reviews in Ruby and Go
• Experience with targeted threat hunting
• Experience participating or leading incident responses
• Experience using at least one SIEM (Splunk ES, LogRhythm, Elasticsearch, Alienvault, AWS GuardDuty, Suricata, bro/Zeek, snort, etc); architect experience a major plus
• Experience exploiting web applications; specific experience with Rails a plus
• Experience exploiting AWS infrastructure and *nix/Windows machines
Benefits, Perks and Wellbeing at Scribd
• Healthcare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents
• Leaves: Paid parental leave, 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans, and milestone Sabbaticals
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion hiring best practices
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Concern mental health digital platform
• Work-life balance flexibility
• Employee Resource Groups that build community and support among employees
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
• Monthly inclusive multi-cultural celebrations & learning opportunities
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.