Robot Handler - Field Testing & Quality Assurance
Austin, TX /
Our Mission at Scythe
Humanity has lost touch with nature - we’ve traded dirt and trees for asphalt, and we rely on loud, polluting, gas-powered machines to care for our limited natural spaces.
Scythe is forging a new future by building intelligent, all-electric machines that unlock a new superpower: the ability to care for the outdoors pollution-free at enormous scale. From today’s first steps in landscape maintenance to full-fledged re-terraforming in the future, Scythe is pioneering autonomous machinery that supports the ingenuity of humans, multiplying our power to nurture our planet.
At Scythe, you’ll work with a team of world-class experts in everything from computer vision to mechanical engineering, pushing the limits of possibility and growing by overcoming hurdles along the way.
The world needs what we’re building—come join us in making it a reality.
Mowing Operations at Scythe
As a Robot Handler, you will be responsible for testing and validating the most advanced outdoor power equipment out there. You’ll be one of the first people in the world to have hands-on experience with fielded, fully-autonomous robots. You’ll take robots into the field for both testing and production mowing every day of the week, reporting both progress and problems that you see back to your engineering teammates to help guide product development.
If you’ve ever mowed grass or labored outside and wished that you had a robot to do it for you, come join us at Scythe. You’ll need to be vocal about problems you see, and observant in the field while you watch the robots work. We expect you to be an experienced landscaper, to be able to communicate actively, to thrive in a fast-paced, self-managed environment, and to be a collaborative, low-ego teammate who helps Scythe realize its big mission.
What you'll do (and learn) at Scythe
- Maintain designated acres daily using Scythe mowers
- General robotic maintenance: everything from sharpening blades and changing tires to replacing circuit boards and calibrating cameras
- Debugging technical problems
- Working hand in hand with engineers to build the best machines
- Completing test requests
- Submitting reports on the general behavior and feature requests
- Providing feedback on the Scythe user experience & general processes
- Assist in building a team in the Austin market
What you've done before
- On-the-ground landscaping experience, especially on a variety of mowers
- You have worked in and know the Austin market
- You understand the basic care and maintenance of different local grass species.
- You've led crews and are self-motivated
- A great understanding of basic landscaping protocols
- You feel comfortable towing a trailer up to 20' long
- Willingness to learn and embrace the unknowns
- Interested in technology
- Strong problem solving and communication skills
- Scythe is an early-stage but well-capitalized startup. Have a huge impact alongside an awesome team of experts shipping something the world has never before seen.
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Fully-sponsored medical, vision, and dental insurance, including 50% funded dependent coverage.
- Headquarters near beautiful Boulder, CO. Enjoy the bounties of nature and open spaces close to home with mountain biking, hiking, skiing and more.
- Growing satellite offices in Austin, TX and Vero Beach, FL
- Flexible paid time-off and remote work to let you do your best work where and when you want.
- Highly collaborative learning culture where personal freedom, growth, and responsibility are valued.
- An opportunity to have an incredible positive impact on the world - build machines that make a difference.
Scythe is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other factor protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.