Boulder, CO /
Our Mission at Scythe
Humanity has lost touch with nature - we’ve traded dirt and trees for asphalt, and we rely on loud, polluting, gas-powered machines to care for our limited natural spaces.
Scythe is forging a new future by building intelligent, all-electric machines that unlock a new superpower: the ability to care for the outdoors pollution-free at enormous scale. From today’s first steps in landscape maintenance to full-fledged re-terraforming in the future, Scythe is pioneering autonomous machinery that supports the ingenuity of humans, multiplying our power to nurture our planet.
At Scythe, you’ll work with a team of world-class experts in everything from computer vision to mechanical engineering, pushing the limits of possibility and growing by overcoming hurdles along the way.
The world needs what we’re building—come join us in making it a reality.
Growing our Hardware Team
Scythe is looking for a talented Firmware Engineer to develop, refine and deploy the most advanced autonomous mower FW on the market.
As a Firmware Engineer, you will be responsible for delivering high-performance, high-reliability embedded code throughout the entire product - from motor controllers and power management to cameras and compute. The best hardware is worthless with phenomenal firmware - at Scythe, you’ll be tasked with building the foundation that enables our software to work its magic and blow our customers minds.
You’ll work in concert with electrical and firmware engineers on the hardware team, and collaborate very closely with our software team to bake functionality, performance and extensibility into the lowest levels of our stack. You’re technically talented with a broad base of experience to “see around corners”, and have an affinity for fast-paced engineering environments while being a team-player who wants to help us realize our bigger mission
What you'll do at Scythe
- Review electrical and systems specifications in-depth with an eye for the hardware-software interface
- Bring-up new electrical systems for the first time, hands-on debug and optimization
- Deliver high-quality C/C++ software in a real-time environment
- Architect and implement sophisticated features and functionality at the lowest possible level across multiple subsystems (battery+power management, motor control, compute, sensing and user interface, etc)
- Create scaffolding for robust and performant inter-device communications as well as test fixtures and production line tools
What you’ve done before
- You’ve architected, written, debugged and deployed sophisticated firmware at scale in your past
- Proficient in C/C++ and ideally have had exposure to Python, Rust and Linux (bash/shell scripting)
- Experience working with ARM microcontrollers and the GNU toolchain
- Experience with common embedded communications protocols or interfaces including CAN, SPI, I2C and UART
- Competent with standard EE lab tools: Meters, scopes, logic analyzers and programmers
- Comfortable reviewing and analyzing electrical schematics and debugging hardware
- Able to deliver under pressure and operate within challenging startup time constraints
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and collaboration skills
- Bonus points for candidates with existing robotics experience, camera and inertial measurement system exposure and EV or automotive software experience, as well as safety-critical or safety-rated FW engineering
- Scythe is an early-stage but well-capitalized startup. Have a huge impact alongside an awesome team of experts shipping something the world has never before seen.
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Fully-sponsored medical, vision, and dental insurance, including 50% funded dependent coverage.
- Headquarters near beautiful Boulder, CO. Enjoy the bounties of nature and open spaces close to home with mountain biking, hiking, skiing and more.
- Satellite offices in Austin, TX and Vero Beach, FL.
- Flexible paid time-off and remote work to let you do your best work where and when you want.
- Highly collaborative learning culture where personal freedom, growth, and responsibility are valued.
- An opportunity to have an incredible positive impact on the world - build machines that make a difference.
Scythe is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other factor protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.