Calibration Software Engineer
Boulder, CO /
Our Mission at Scythe
Humanity has lost touch with nature - we’ve traded dirt and trees for asphalt, and we rely on loud, polluting, gas-powered machines to care for our limited natural spaces.
Scythe is forging a new future by building intelligent, all-electric machines that unlock a new superpower: the ability to care for the outdoors pollution-free at enormous scale. From today’s first steps in landscape maintenance to full-fledged re-terraforming in the future, Scythe is pioneering autonomous machinery that supports the ingenuity of humans, multiplying our power to nurture our planet.
At Scythe, you’ll work with a team of world-class experts in everything from computer vision to mechanical engineering, pushing the limits of possibility and growing by overcoming hurdles along the way.
The world needs what we’re building—come join us in making it a reality.
Calibration at Scythe
Scythe is looking for a Calibration Software Engineer to help develop, prototype, and deploy the most advanced autonomous mower robots on the market. As a Calibration Software Engineer you will be responsible for the design and development of calibration algorithms, procedures, fixtures, and software, as well as the integration of production line calibration results with the on-robot software. You’ll also get the opportunity to develop algorithms and software for in-field calibration verification and re-calibration.
You’ll work in concert with teammates from across the company to build a rich understanding of multi-sensor calibration needs and bring those ideas to life. We expect you to be broadly experienced, to be able to “see around corners”, to thrive in a fast-paced, self-managed environment, and to be a collaborative, low-ego teammate who helps Scythe realize its big mission.
What you'll do at Scythe
- Lead the calibration effort for a robotic system with multiple cameras, GNSS, IMU, and ultrasonic sensors
- Design fixtures and develop software for production-line calibration
- Design algorithms and develop software for online and in-field calibration, as well as online calibration quality estimation
- Collaborate with teammates across software and hardware to assess, design, and implement calibration processes
What you know well
- Calibration of multi-camera systems
- Familiarity with principles of projective geometry, non-linear optimization, and optics
- Worked with Python and/or C++, in particular with linear algebra and math packages
- Familiarity with open-source calibration packages (e.g., kalibr, vicalib, opencv), and standard camera calibration algorithms
What you’ve maybe done
- Calibration of IMUs and visual-inertial systems
- Developed calibration procedures and fixtures for production line
- Developed calibration software for multi-sensor robotic platforms
- Developed algorithms for online calibration quality estimation and in-field re-calibration
- Developed visual-inertial SLAM or other geometric computer vision software
- Worked with ultrasonic sensor systems
- Worked with any of: Rust, CUDA, ROS
- Scythe is an early-stage but well-capitalized startup. Have a huge impact alongside an awesome team of experts shipping something the world has never before seen.
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Fully-sponsored medical, vision, and dental insurance, including 50% funded dependent coverage.
- Headquarters near beautiful Boulder, CO. Enjoy the bounties of nature and open spaces close to home with mountain biking, hiking, skiing and more.
- Satellite offices in Austin, TX and Vero Beach, FL.
- Flexible paid time-off and remote work to let you do your best work where and when you want.
- Highly collaborative learning culture where personal freedom, growth, and responsibility are valued.
- An opportunity to have an incredible positive impact on the world - build machines that make a difference.
Scythe is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other factor protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.