Senior Electrical Design Engineer
Boulder, CO /
Our Mission at Scythe
Humanity has lost touch with nature - we’ve traded dirt and trees for asphalt, and we rely on loud, polluting, gas-powered machines to care for our limited natural spaces.
Scythe is forging a new future by building intelligent, all-electric machines that unlock a new superpower: the ability to care for the outdoors pollution-free at enormous scale. From today’s first steps in landscape maintenance to full-fledged re-terraforming in the future, Scythe is pioneering autonomous machinery that supports the ingenuity of humans, multiplying our power to nurture our planet.
At Scythe, you’ll work with a team of world-class experts in everything from computer vision to mechanical engineering, pushing the limits of possibility and growing by overcoming hurdles along the way.
The world needs what we’re building—come join us in making it a reality.
Growing our Hardware Team
Scythe is looking for a Senior Electrical Design Engineer to develop, prototype, refine and deploy the most advanced autonomous mower electronics on the market. As an Electrical Design Engineer, you will be responsible for electronics design and architecture throughout the entire product lifecycle, including specification gathering, electrical architecture, design, prototyping, DFM, validation and test and deployment to the field.
You’ll work in concert with teammates from across the company to build a rich understanding of product needs and bring those ideas to life. We expect you to be broadly experienced to be able to “see around corners”, to thrive in a fast-paced, self-managed engineering environment, and to be a collaborative, low-ego teammate who helps Scythe realize its big mission.
What you'll do at Scythe
- Work on ALL robot electronics subsystems from cradle to grave. Performance embedded compute, battery management systems, power regulation, RF comms, precision brushless motor control, cameras and sensing - nearly every piece in our machines is tailored for our application.
- Design schematics, perform circuit analysis/simulation, design for high reliability, and design for manufacturing
- PCB layout and development, including high-speed digital, mixed-signal and power
- Support PCBA assembly and manufacture, collaborate with vendors to find solutions that reduce cost and improve quality
- Work closely with Firmware and Mechanical Engineers on design parameters and requirements - navigate multi-dimensional design and timeline constraints
- Perform bringup, validation and reliability testing, design fixtures and jigs for automated tests
What you’ve done before
- You’ve designed, built and shipped sophisticated hardware products at scale - it’s not your first rodeo.
- 5+ years of PCB and electrical system design experience (Altium Designer preferred)
- Deep understanding of analog and digital circuits including exposure to high-speed digital design
- Exposure to firmware development in C/C++ for ARM microcontrollers
- Experience with lithium batteries, power converter or inverter design and familiarity with power electronics technologies and techniques
- Experience with circuit simulation in SPICE (or equivalent)
- Proficient with standard EE lab tools: meters, scopes, logic analyzers, programmers, soldering irons and hot air rework, etc
- Familiarity with mechanical CAD tools (ie: Solidworks, Inventor, Fusion360)
- Able to deliver under pressure and operate within challenging startup time constraints
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and collaboration skills
- Bonus points for candidates with existing robotics experience, camera and inertial measurement system exposure, and EV or automotive electronics design experience.
- Scythe is an early-stage but well-capitalized startup. Have a huge impact alongside an awesome team of experts shipping something the world has never before seen.
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Fully-sponsored medical, vision, and dental insurance, including 50% funded dependent coverage.
- Headquarters near beautiful Boulder, CO. Enjoy the bounties of nature and open spaces close to home with mountain biking, hiking, skiing and more.
- Satellite offices in Austin, TX and Vero Beach, FL.
- Flexible paid time-off and remote work to let you do your best work where and when you want.
- Highly collaborative learning culture where personal freedom, growth, and responsibility are valued.
- An opportunity to have an incredible positive impact on the world - build machines that make a difference.
Scythe is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other factor protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.