VP of Finance
Boulder, CO or Remote /
Our Mission at Scythe
Humanity has lost touch with nature - we’ve traded dirt and trees for asphalt, and we rely on loud, polluting, gas-powered machines to care for our limited natural spaces.
Scythe is forging a new future by building intelligent, all-electric machines that unlock a new superpower: the ability to care for the outdoors pollution-free at enormous scale. From today’s first steps in landscape maintenance to full-fledged re-terraforming in the future, Scythe is pioneering autonomous machinery that supports the ingenuity of humans, multiplying our power to nurture our planet.
At Scythe, you’ll work with a team of world-class experts in everything from computer vision to mechanical engineering, pushing the limits of possibility and growing by overcoming hurdles along the way.
The world needs what we’re building—come join us in making it a reality.
Leading Finance at Scythe
As our first VP of Finance, you'll have the chance to build out our team's financial operations and work across the company. At Scythe, it's important for us to be a data driven company which empowers stakeholders across all levels of our organization to make the best decisions possible. In service of this mission, you'll help make our company's financial workings and growth levers accessible and understandable to the broader Scythe team. You'll work closely with teammates in manufacturing to guide decisions around inventory management and equipment financing, and the Scythe founders on future equity financing. Finally, you'll manage all company accounting and financial modeling to plot a roadmap for Scythe's continued success and growth.
You’ll work in concert with teammates from across the company to build a rich understanding of product needs and bring those ideas to life. We expect you to be broadly experienced and be able to “see around corners”, to thrive in a fast-paced, self-managed environment, and to be a collaborative, low-ego teammate who helps Scythe realize its big mission.
What you’ll do at Scythe
- Build on Scythe's fiscally aware culture to help drive decisions at all levels through a financial lens
- Build and maintain Scythe's business models in http://causal.app to enable full team visibility
- Lead equipment financing decisions and position Scythe for rapid, scalable growth
- Manage all accounting activities for the company, including but not limited to:
- Managing outside accounting partners that currently perform day to day bookkeeping, AP / AR, and controller duties
- Spend tracking and analysis to identify any blind spots
- Tax and other financial regulatory filings for all state and federal entities, including R&D tax credits and the like
- Broad fiduciary reporting responsibilities to partners like banks, vendors, the Board of Directors, and similar
What you know well
- Equipment financing
- Manufacturing inventory accounting
- Financial implications around JIT manufacturing and component lead times
- Order sizing and the implications they have on profit margins
- Unit economics stemming from recurring revenue models
- Financial modeling in Excel or similar tools with a willingness to learn new ones
- Outside bookkeeping and accounting firm management
- Venture capital backed company financing and growth trajectories
What you’ve maybe done before
- Worked on usage-based business models, such as pay-per-hour
- Used Causal, Jirav, or another next-gen financial modeling tools
- Scythe is an early-stage but well-capitalized startup. Have a huge impact alongside an awesome team of experts shipping something the world has never before seen.
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Fully-sponsored medical, vision, and dental insurance, including 50% funded dependent coverage.
- Headquarters near beautiful Boulder, CO. Enjoy the bounties of nature and open spaces close to home with mountain biking, hiking, skiing and more.
- Satellite offices in Austin, TX and Vero Beach, FL.
- Flexible paid time-off and remote work to let you do your best work where and when you want.
- Highly collaborative learning culture where personal freedom, growth, and responsibility are valued.
- An opportunity to have an incredible positive impact on the world
Scythe is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other factor protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.