Test Automation Software Engineer
Boulder, CO /
Our Mission at Scythe
Humanity has lost touch with nature - we’ve traded dirt and trees for asphalt, and we rely on loud, polluting, gas-powered machines to care for our limited natural spaces.
Scythe is forging a new future by building intelligent, all-electric machines that unlock a new superpower: the ability to care for the outdoors pollution-free at enormous scale. From today’s first steps in landscape maintenance to full-fledged re-terraforming in the future, Scythe is pioneering autonomous machinery that supports the ingenuity of humans, multiplying our power to nurture our planet.
At Scythe, you’ll work with a team of world-class experts in everything from computer vision to mechanical engineering, pushing the limits of possibility and growing by overcoming hurdles along the way.
The world needs what we’re building—come join us in making it a reality.
SW Test Automation at Scythe
Scythe is looking for a Test Automation Software Engineer to design and develop a factory supporting the next chapter in Scythe's journey: ramping from dozens of units to tens of thousands. We've developed an industry-changing machine and have customers knocking down our door for units, so we're looking to scale our production quickly and get thousands of reliable autonomous machines out into the world where they can change how we take care of all our outdoor space.
You'll be given direct ownership of our vehicle commissioning processes with the goal of meeting our demanding production schedule by making it as consistent and reliable as possible. You'll be responsible for developing production-ready scripts which automate firmware flashing, camera calibration, and overall vehicle configuration setups. To do this, you'll be expected to be very hands-on with the vehicles and the production lines as well as maintaining the overall development schedule for your given assignments. As the team grows, you'll be in a great position to support new members and help us build a strong manufacturing organization!
What You'll Do at Scythe
- Own provisioning, calibration, and configuration processes on the production line which bring our robots to life
- Act as technical point of contact for assigned processes on the factory floor
- Influence the vehicle architecture design to ensure ease of operation on the production line and in fleet management
- Design the factory and processes to commission our fully autonomous commercial lawn mower. This includes automation scripting but may also include simple assembly processes as needed
- Ensure all processes within your responsibility are capable of meeting our production line cycle times
- Conduct design for manufacturability (DfM) reviews with design engineers, supply chain, and assembly technicians to optimize the vehicle design for production
- Ensure electronic components are being received on the production line in a known state, both physical configuration and firmware
What You Know Well
- Experience developing hardware automation. This may include provisioning, programming, and calibrations (ex: cameras, motors, actuators, etc) in multiple environments and/or languages
- Experience scripting with Python and working with Linux
- Developing highly repeatable processes that can be executed on a high-volume production line, taking caution to data rates, latency, connectivity, etc
- Developing logical error codes and messages such that they can be readable and addressed by production line personnel in a timely manner
- Strong verbal communication skills. Must have experience communicating in person with interdisciplinary team members on a daily basis (technicians, peers, supply chain, etc). Examples of this are standup meetings, team huddles, quality reviews, safety reviews, etc
What You've Maybe Done
- Experience owning New Product Introduction (NPI) for robotic assemblies and/or processes in a medium-to-high volume environment (cycle time less than 1 hr)
- Experience developing production acceptance testing for robotic systems including acceptance criteria
- Experience automating test and/or production processes for EV assembly line
- Experience building fully-autonomous vehicles using vision systems
- Developed production dashboards using SQL or similar querying language
- Scythe is an early-stage but well-capitalized startup. Have a huge impact alongside an awesome team of experts shipping something the world has never before seen
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Fully-sponsored medical, vision, and dental insurance, including 75% funded dependent coverage
- 401(k) retirement plan (non-matching today)
- Headquarters near beautiful Boulder, CO. Enjoy the bounties of nature and open spaces close to home with mountain biking, hiking, skiing and more.
- Satellite offices in Austin, TX and Vero Beach, FL
- Flexible paid time-off and remote work to let you do your best work where and when you want
- Highly collaborative learning culture where personal freedom, growth, and responsibility are valued
- An opportunity to have an incredible positive impact on the world
Scythe is a total compensation company, which provides employees a comprehensive salary, equity, and benefit package. However, only the minimum salary amounts are listed here. Scythe carefully considers a wide range of compensation factors, including education, years of experience, competencies and other relevant business considerations. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary along with your compensation mode preferences. The Test Automation Software Engineer position has an expected minimum annual cash salary of $85,000. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience. Equity and benefits packages are NOT included in this estimate. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Scythe is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other factor protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.