Capital Markets & Investments Associate
Capital Markets & Investments /
Secfi helps startup employees understand, maximize and unlock the value of their stock options. We’ve worked with employees at 80% of US-based unicorns to provide education, tax planning tools and financing to help them on their journey from joining their company to IPO.
We also partner with executive teams and founders at high-growth startups to provide their employees with a better understanding of their equity package and enable them to buy their options without paying out of pocket.
Secfi is growing rapidly. Employees and executives use our online platform to better understand, and finance the exercising of, their equity — growing from $3bn in 2019 to $10bn in 2020. We’re now on our way to more than $30bn of equity in 2021. We have offices in Amsterdam and San Francisco and are looking to double the team by the end of this year.
Working for a startup is like building a plane already flying in the air. It’s messy, it’s exciting, and you are constantly learning. Our core values — customer focus, perseverance, action, ownership, diversity and team — are embedded in everything we do.
About the team
The mission of the Capital Markets & Investments team is to maximize the growth of Secfi’s existing and new business. The team works across Secfi’s business funnel - they analyze new companies in the pipeline, determine the most attractive to invest in, set the most competitive terms for our clients and also manage the capital supply and investor relationships. The team advises our funds on investments while improving its current processes and developing new business in both investment- and strategic projects. Your colleagues are goal oriented, creative problem solvers with a good sense of humor, can-do attitude and low-ego.
About the position
We’re looking for a Capital Markets & Investments Associate to join our team in NYC/SF. Our ideal candidate has a demonstrated passion for technology and investing and is comfortable dealing with multiple internal and external stakeholders. You are able to quickly form a strong, informed opinion on industries, technologies or business models and effectively present their analysis. Next to analyzing tech companies for investment, you have a key role in rethinking (think: automating) the way we perform due diligence. You are also excited to get into the weeds and set up new funds to continue Secfi’s rocketship growth. You must feel comfortable working in a fast paced, ad-hoc environment and dealing with different stakeholders.
- Evaluating investment opportunities in unicorn startups
- Preparing investment memos and presenting to the Investment Committee
- Active voice in negotiating deals with our capital providers
- Supporting the setup of new funds and capital facilities to help Secfi deliver its financing effectively
- Working with the portfolio manager to make sure appropriate risk is balanced across the portfolio
- Developing materials and actively pitching to new investors and capital providers
- Constantly developing new ways to streamline and improve the analysis of companies, including interacting with Product and Data Science teams to streamline, refine and automate our due diligence processes
- Developing new and scalable ways of analyzing private companies
- Building and maintaining an effective database to track important data points, valuations, company performance as well as other financial metrics and benchmarks
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams on ad-hoc projects and programs
- 1 to 3 years of relevant work experience in Investment Banking, Venture Capital or Private Equity
- Strong financial analysis and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated passion for investing and technology startups, intellectual curiosity and willingness to learn
- Working knowledge of various valuation techniques and cap table economics
- Humble and self-starter with exceptional interpersonal skills
- Strong record of professional achievement, work ethic, and positive attitude
- Strong knowledge of the Bay Area/US start-up ecosystem
- Superb Excel and Powerpoint skills
- Strong communication and team collaboration skills
- Fluent in English
- Bonus: Experience working in high growth start-up companies
What we offer
- Competitive salary, retirement benefits
- Employee-friendly equity plan
- Attractive and flexible vacation and parental leave policy
- Company sponsored lunches, snacks, drinks and team events
- Great work environment designed to help your professional growth
- Birthday off
- And last but not least, a great and fun experience