Lead Financial Planner
Remote (USA) /
Secfi is trusted by thousands of startup employees for equity planning and financing. We’re the first to provide a proprietary suite of equity planning tools, 1:1 guidance with licensed equity strategists and a set of financing products that enable employees to own a stake in the company they helped build. We also provide company-wide education for startups at all stages to help their team make the best decision for their own situation. To date we have worked with employees from more than 80% of all U.S. unicorns.
We recognize that company stock options are often the largest financial asset that startup employees own. Our goal is to help them navigate the complexities of making key decisions with their equity compensation and then use their hard-earned proceeds to achieve their financial goals and prudently plan for their financial future. Secfi recently embarked on an exciting new chapter; wealth management. We’re excited to continue educating and empowering the startup community by giving them accessible advice when they need it most, and providing customized investment opportunities to continue building their wealth.
Working for a startup is like building a plane already flying in the air. It’s messy, it’s exciting, and you are constantly learning. Our core values — customer focus, perseverance, action, ownership, diversity and team — are embedded in everything we do. If you’re seeking to exponentially grow in your career, learn and contribute to all aspects of building and scaling a business, and create cutting-edge technology solutions that allow Secfi Advisors to provide a best-in-class client experience, then this is the opportunity for you!
About the Team
Secfi is the leading destination for employees that want to better understand their equity, and we aspire to become the leading destination for startup employees who need financial planning and investment management. Our wealth management team is composed of experienced professionals with deep expertise in tax, planning, investments, and portfolio management. Our experience spans across financial heavyweights like Goldman Sachs, Bain, Dimensional Fund Advisors, PWC, Baird, Ellevest and one of the nation’s largest RIAs. We are a tight-knit group working together to build something new and exciting.
About the Role
Secfi is looking for a dynamic Financial Advisor to work with startup employees who are embarking on their new wealth journey and are seeking professional guidance to help them plan their financial future and continue to grow their wealth. You will meet with prospective Secfi clients and may potentially be the first impression that some of them encounter. Additionally, you will build and review financial plans, including scenario modeling for both exercise and liquidity planning to help Secfi clients make informed decisions with their stock options.
You will play an instrumental role in building the Wealth Management division within Secfi and won’t be afraid of getting your hands dirty and working on anything and everything that needs to be done.
We will consider great candidates who are remote or near our New York location, but bonus points if you live near our SF office.
What You’ll Do
- Lead discovery meetings with prospective clients and articulate the value-added planning strategies that we can provide to the client.
- Serve as the primary relationship manager for 80 - 100 client relationships.
- Analyze a client's current financial situation and be able to communicate recommendations in a clear, digestible manner for the client to improve his / her financial position.
- Play a key role in developing strategies to scale our Wealth offering, including collaborating with our content team on personal financial topics and building scalable processes for discovery, onboarding, and client service/relationship management.
- Collaborate with the product team to inform future product development and enhancements to existing products based on client feedback and functionality that will improve the advisor experience.
- Use financial planning software to build holistic financial plans for clients and review those plans with them.
- Model different exercise and sales scenarios and help startup employees make decisions about their stock options.
What You Bring
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in professional financial services or wealth management
- Prior experience leading client relationships and an emphasis on financial planning, tax planning, and estate planning strategies
- CFP, CFA, and/or CPA required
- Excellent communication skills: you’re a great listener and thoughtful with asking questions
- Client-centric mentality: you keep the client experience / outcome at the forefront of every decision or recommendation
- A track record of successful relationship-building with clients
- A strong understanding and familiarity with different investment strategies and approaches
- Extensive advisory experience with clients who have equity compensation, preferably some exposure to employees with startup equity You are familiar with the terms (Incentive Stock Options, Alternative Minimum Tax, Qualified Small Business Stock, etc.)
- Deep understanding of taxes and experience preparing tax projections to inform recommendations to clients
- If applicable, integrating your current independent practice with Secfi is possible
- Startup experience and/or experience working within the FinTech industry is a plus
What We Offer
- Competitive salary, retirement benefits (5% 401k contribution)
- Employee-friendly equity plan
- A clear leveling framework to facilitate career progression
- Paid parental leave for primary and secondary caregivers
- 24 paid holidays and your Birthday off
- Professional and personal development programs (like internal 1-1 coaching)
- Customized home workstation stipend
$105,000 - $130,000 a year
The expected base salary for this role is between $105k - $130k, plus equity and the potential for performance-based discretionary bonuses.
Principals only. Please do not contact us with unsolicited services or offers.
Secfi is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.