San Francisco /
Secfi’s mission is to help startup employees & shareholders understand, maximize and unlock the value of their equity. We provide education, tax planning tools and financing to guide employees on their journey from startup to exit.
Our set of online forecasting tools enable individuals to assess the value of their stock options and calculate the cost to exercise. Financing is available to help employees exercise options or unlock liquidity for important financial goals. And our team of Equity Advisors is available to assist every step of the way. We bring clarity, peace of mind and thoughtful planning to thousands of startup employees.
Working for a scale-up feels like building a plane while already flying in the air. It’s messy, it’s exciting, and you are constantly learning. Customer Focus, Perseverance, Action, Ownership, Diversity, and Team are embedded in everything we do.
About the role
Our Investments team is hiring an Investments Manager to help build a premier private-equities intelligence center at Secfi. The private company universe is huge ($225B+) and nuanced. We need a pioneer to analyze market/company data and make sense of it all in order to guide our own investment strategy and recommendations.
This role is not cookie-cutter so we are looking for someone that is not only interested in studying the financial markets (think typical Equity Research or Investments) but who is willing to think outside the box (think data science, content marketing, product strategy).
On a typical day, you may be doing some of the following: doing research and writing a memo on a new company that’s in our target market, putting together a pricing optimization model for another company under your purview, creating a model to test how our team’s valuation assumptions have fared, chatting with Product regarding automating that same exercise so it’s easier to analyze in the future.
If you thrive in ambiguity, love to break/create processes, enjoy experimentation and love to muse about Unicorn valuations - this role is for you.
Ideally we are looking for a generalist who is well versed in the broad technology ecosystem. However, we are giving extra points for someone who can serve as a team specialist in one of the following sub-sectors: Fintech, Cybersecurity or Consumer Tech.
Upon the return of normal global conditions, this role will be based in either San Francisco or Amsterdam, based on applicant’s preference.
- Market Research: Develop a process and network to be apprised of the market and which companies we should be targeting for business development efforts
- Diligence/Analysis: Take full ownership of a portfolio of issuers (~30-50) and manage all diligence, valuation, cap tables, comps, questions associated with those names
- Negotiation: Based on research and valuation, manage and defend deal structure and pricing associated with the names in owned portfolio, and effectively negotiate terms with our capital providers
- Thought-leadership: Develop and defend view-points on both market news as well as specific portfolio company trajectories, being able to field questions and author public content with your findings
- Other: Collaborate with cross-functional teams on ad-hoc projects and programs
- 6+ years of relevant work experience in equity research, investing (VC/PE), investment banking or corporate development (in the technology sector is a must)
- Deep network in the US venture ecosystem (specifically mid-late stage)
- Demonstrated investment thought leadership
- Strong financial analysis, financial modelling and critical thinking skills
- Humble and self-starter with exceptional interpersonal skills
- Strong record of professional achievement, work ethic, and positive attitude
- Superb Excel and Powerpoint skills
- Strong communication and team collaboration skills
- Fluent in English (native preferred)
- Specialization in either Fintech, Cybersecurity or Consumer Tech
- Background in data science or quantitative research
- Experience working in high growth start-up companies
Your benefits include
- Competitive salary, retirement benefits
- Employee-friendly equity plan
- Attractive and flexible vacation policy
- Company sponsored lunches, snacks, drinks and team events
- Great work environment designed to help your professional growth
- And last but not least, a great and fun experience