Los Angeles, CA
Second Spectrum is building the next way of seeing sports. We deliver unique and innovative solutions through unparalleled capabilities in machine understanding of sports.
• We produce the most accurate tracking data with the fastest high-quality output by leveraging the most automated and extensible solution in the market. We are official partners of top basketball and soccer leagues across the world.
• We generate meaningful and accurate data in the language of sport. Nearly every team in the NBA and ESPN uses our analytics and video platforms.
• We create cutting edge software and communication tools so we can deliver new personalized and interactive technologies for leagues, managers, players, media and fans that save people time and get them what they want in ways that previously did not exist.
• We launched an innovative product, Clippers CourtVision, which won an NBA Innovation Award and Best in Technology at the 2019 Sports Business Awards, and has subsequently been used by ESPN, Turner Sports, FOX, NBATV, and NBA League Pass among others.
We are constantly innovating. We believe that technology will revolutionize the way that sports are played, coached, and experienced, and that the work to make this happen has just begun.
We are looking for a communications leader that is unafraid to look beyond textbook marketing strategies and is hungry to bring our brand vision to life, build familiarity with our brand and drive engagement. The right person for this role is passionate about building and amplifying brands, mastered social media, a great teammate and inspiring leader with experience at some of the world’s best brands.
Who You Are:
• Big picture. Mission focused and can communicate not only where we are but where we are going.
• Brand-focused. We work hard to nurture our company culture; this role needs to have that front of mind at all times.
• Embraces Learning. We are looking for non-traditional thinkers who translate continuous learning into results and who appreciate nurturing others.
• Team First. This position will work with diverse teams and across all departments, specifically creative, engineering, and product.
• Forward Thinking. You prefer to see around corners and plan for the future while having a deep understanding and ability to articulate the unknowns.
What You’ll Do:
• As a resolute brand builder and business driver, you will take charge of internal, domestic and international communication efforts both in alignment, strategy and execution
• Improve awareness, reputation and impact for our brand and product platforms in order to help manage external perception, market positioning and revenue goals
• Create, execute, and manage strategic and effective communications plan that supports daily communications, long-term brand building and business goals
• Create and draft narrative/stories regarding research, business results, products, career opportunities and exec platforms
• Develop and maintain meaningful relationships with select top-tier sports, business, technology and mainstream global press
• Assess and secure media and speaking opportunities and provide messaging and guidance to participating executives
• Analyze communication effectiveness and revise communication strategies accordingly
• Collaborate with executive team to form operational plans for product marketing purposes
• Drive internal communication and support employees via events that are supportive of what we value and strengthen our company culture
• Identify, select, and manage PR agencies to deliver results in the form of press articles, blogs, awards, and visible speaking engagements
• Develop high-quality materials, including communications narratives, pitch letters, presentations, videos, background materials, planning documents, and executive communications
• Represent the company for media and public speaking engagements as needed
What You Have:
• 8+ years of communications, public relations and marketing experience in the sports or technology industry with a bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or public relations
• Passion for sports and entertainment industry
• High creativity and strong sense of aesthetics
• Ability to excel and hustle in a fast-paced environment
• Enjoyment of managing details and complexity
• Strong planning, prioritizing skills with ability to manage and execute on simultaneous projects
• Ability to partner closely with stakeholder and support function teams
• Exceptional social media channel management and development and abilities
• Superior writing skills with the ability to develop and edit high-quality materials
• Scrappy startup mentality while managing a dynamic and evolving set of resources
• Unflappable ability to represent the company at both internal and external events
• Ability to create and execute the communications vision, agenda, policies, and principles
• Deep understanding of executive communications, media relations and internal and external communications
• Ability to lead branding and marketing campaigns
• Planning and executing ad-hoc, short-term and long-term media campaigns
• Solid understanding of the agency landscape and have recommendations from day one
What Sets You Apart:
• MBA, MA or MS in communication, marketing or public relations
• Experience in the sports sponsorship market
• Experience working with leading organizations in sports teams, leagues and media
• Experience with cable television (RSNs), national television, digital distribution
• Deep understanding of live media production including both linear and digital
• Knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media / social media
• Highly organized and detail-oriented problem-solver who thinks fast and finds solutions when others may see a dead end
• A strong network of media contacts and a proven way of building new relationships with existing and emerging media and influence