Los Angeles, CA
Second Spectrum is the world leader in building machines that understand sports and the experts at creating value from tracking data. We create tools that help teams win, making data and video easily accessible and actionable. For media companies, we create automatically augmented video and interactive, personalized, OTT experiences. We are at the forefront of computer vision, machine learning, big data, augmented reality, and product design. Second Spectrum is the Official Optical Tracking Provider of the NBA. In addition, we are working with several football (soccer) clubs and leagues in Europe and in the US, and provide software for coaches and players to help improve their game.
Second Spectrum is headquartered in Los Angeles (USA) with one R&D office in Lausanne (Switzerland) and another one in Shanghai (China). Its computer vision team has engineers in Los Angeles and in Lausanne. The purpose of the R&D team is to provide cutting-edge technologies to ensure our market leading position. They are in charge of all aspects of the computer vision and deep learning technologies for player tracking and broadcast solutions. To grow our team and join our Los Angeles office, we are looking for a Systems Engineer.
Second Spectrum is seeking an experienced Systems Engineer to join our optical tracking and video capture team. Responsibilities include software development, networking, performance optimization, and camera and server solutions research for real-time applications.
- 5-6 years systems software engineering experience
- Embedded systems and/or real-time programming experience
- Solution design involving hardware and software
- C/C++ systems level programming
- Experience with Linux systems internals, kernel modules, kernel tuning, boot loaders
- Familiarity with concurrency primitives: threads, locking, mutexes
- Networking: routing, High MTU / Jumbo Frames, TCP, UDP, IGMP / multicast, fiber, ethernet, bandwidth, VPN, equipment and throughput constraints
- Experience authoring and deploying production ready code
- Team-oriented engineering habits, particularly through documentation
- Leading and mentoring a team of 2 other engineers
- Ability to find creative solutions to hardware and software challenges around low-latency, high-reliability video delivery
- Site reliability engineering: metrics, monitoring, incident response, post-mortem analysis
- Live systems support and monitoring
- Evening and weekend on-call rotation for video capture during professional sports seasons
Nice to haves:
- GPU (CUDA) experience
- Hardware programming experience
- Interest in cameras, lenses and optics
- Interest in camera/video system technologies: PTP2, RTMP, RTSP, SDI, GigE Vision, CoaXPress, GenLock, IRIG-B
- Video compression experience (h.264, h.265, VP8, VP9)
- Audio compression experience (AAC, mp3)
- CI/CD experience
- Nvidia Docker
- AWS: Serverless / cloud computing
- Puppet, chef, or ansible
- Scripting in bash, python, or ruby
As a general approach, we interview for aptitude over specific technologies or languages. However, you will be expected to speak to anything listed on your resume/CV.