Software Engineering Intern
Lausanne, Switzerland /
Computer Vision /
Second Spectrum is a sports tech company and for our Lausanne (Lake Geneva region, Switzerland) office we are looking for a software engineering intern.
Contribute to the development and maintenance of our cutting-edge sports optical tracking systems, which will also include live support for Premier League, National Basketball Association (NBA) and Major Soccer League (MLS) games. This is mainly a software engineering mission. That is, it will involve significantly more software engineering than computer vision or data science.
The Role: Software Engineering Intern
Please note: We will begin our review process at the end of October and follow up with qualified applicants in November.
● Work on projects related to the development and optimization of real-time and high-accuracy sports solutions.
● Actively collaborate with the computer vision team in charge of the tracking systems’ algorithms.
● Design, prototype, implement and test software in Python and C++.
● Leverage Amazon Web Services (EC2 and S3) to run algorithms on a large number of servers in the cloud.
● Implement best-practices for maintainable software development, including deployment process, documentation, efficient/modular/readable code, adherence to and improvement of coding standards.
● Currently studying towards a MSc in computer science or related degree, with strong software engineering components. The internship can be curricular/mandatory, but we are not considering master projects or thesis.
● Fully proficient in Python and/or modern C++ with exposure to functional & object-oriented programming paradigms.
● Eager to work on projects involving production code.
● Eligible to work in Switzerland and currently living in Switzerland.
What Sets You Apart:
● Eager to discover and experiment with languages and technologies outside of your existing areas of expertise.
● Proficient in other coding languages, such as Rust.
● Strong interest in sports, such as football and/or basketball.
Our Software Stack:
● Languages for scientific computing: Python & C++
● Frameworks: OpenCV, CUDA, FFmpeg, Tensorflow, NumPy, scikit-learn, Caffe
● Monitoring: Prometheus, Grafana
● Revision Control: Git with GitLab
● Cloud services: AWS EC2 and S3
● Productivity: Slack, Notion, Google Apps
Our Work Environment and What You Will Benefit From:
● Flexible working hours and improved Swiss social benefits.
● Flat hierarchy and collaborative management by highly-qualified technical leads.
● Team-oriented engineering habits and software engineering best practices (readable, maintainable and efficient code).
● Start-up mindset, innovative and dynamic environment, which encourages self-development and opportunities to make an impact.
● Multicultural team with employees based across 5 countries (USA, Switzerland, UK, China and India).
● Highly-qualified team of engineers, who enjoy learning, exchanging ideas and questioning existing standards.
● Regular formal and informal team outings.
Second Spectrum is building the next way of seeing sports. We deliver unique and innovative solutions through unparalleled capabilities in machine understanding of sports.
• We produce the most accurate tracking data with the fastest high-quality output by leveraging the most automated and extensible solution in the market. We are the official tracking and analytics partner of the NBA, MLS and EPL. We also work with other top basketball and soccer (football) leagues and clubs around the world.
• We generate meaningful and accurate data in the language of sport. Nearly every team in the NBA and ESPN uses our analytics and video platforms.
• We create cutting edge software and communication tools so we can deliver personalized and interactive technologies for leagues, managers, players, media and fans that save people time and get them what they want in ways that previously did not exist.
• We launched an innovative product, Clippers CourtVision, which won an NBA Innovation Award and Best in Technology at the 2019 Sports Business Awards, and has subsequently been used by ESPN, Turner Sports, FOX, NBATV, and NBA League Pass among others.
We are constantly innovating. We believe that technology will revolutionize the way that sports are played, coached, and experienced, and that the work to make this happen has just begun.