Computer Vision Engineering Intern (3-6 months)
Second Spectrum is the world leader in building machines that understand sports and the experts at creating value from tracking data. We create tools that help teams win, making data and video easily accessible and actionable. For media companies, we create automatically augmented video and interactive, personalized, OTT experiences. We are at the forefront of computer vision, machine learning, big data, augmented reality, and product design. Second Spectrum is the Official Optical Tracking Provider of the NBA. In addition, we are working with several football (soccer) clubs and leagues in Europe and in the US, and provide software for coaches and players to help improve their game.
Second Spectrum is headquartered in Los Angeles (USA) with one R&D office in Lausanne (Switzerland) and another one in Shanghai (China). Its computer vision team has engineers in Los Angeles and in Lausanne. The purpose of the R&D team is to provide cutting-edge technologies to ensure our market leading position. They are in charge of all aspects of the computer vision and deep learning technologies for player tracking and broadcast solutions. To grow our team and join our Los Angeles office, we are looking for a computer vision engineer.
The primary goal of internships at Second Spectrum is professional growth. As an intern, you are given the opportunity to work on real projects that professional sports teams, broadcasters, and consumers use. We try to match your personal and professional interests and skills with our projects. They may include camera calibration, object recognition and tracking.
- Design, prototype, implement and evaluate computer vision algorithms in Python and modern C++.
- Leverage Amazon Web Services (EC2 and S3) to run algorithms on large number of servers in the cloud, analyzing sport matches from our installations for diverse sports (basketball, football, ice-hockey, etc.).
- Work with internal sports data sets for machine learning, updated daily by a professional team of 50+.
- Develop readable, maintainable and efficient code and contribute to Git repositories involving 20+ people.
- Document code development, bugs and corrections in Git repositories.
- Review code of other engineers and contribute to the company’s engineering good practices.
- Keep up with the latest innovation and techniques by attending international computer vision conferences, such as ICCV or CVPR, and by discussing papers every two weeks.
- Work in strong collaboration with our colleagues at the headquarters in LA.
Education and Professional Background Requirements:
- Studying towards a MSc in Computer Science or related degree, focused on computer vision or deep learning
- Master at least one main programming language (Python, C++), with exposure to functional & object-oriented programming paradigms
- Practical experience in computer vision or deep learning (code samples are mandatory)
- Strong academic performance
- Fluent in English
- Swiss/EU/EFTA citizen or Swiss C permit holder (mandatory)
- Strong work ethic
- Team-oriented engineering habits
- Excited about team sports, both as a player and as a fan
- Aptitude for learning new technologies and disseminating experience
- Willingness to contribute ideas and to question existing standards
We Provide Our Interns With:
- Competitive salary
- Team work
- Programming skills development
- Specialization in Computer Vision
As a general approach, we interview for aptitude over specific technologies or languages. However, you will be expected to speak to anything listed on your resume/CV.