Los Angeles, CA
People and Business Operations
Second Spectrum is building the next way of seeing sports. We deliver unique and innovative solutions through unparalleled capabilities in machine understanding of sports.
• We produce the most accurate tracking data with the fastest high-quality output by leveraging the most automated and extensible solution in the market. We are the official tracking and analytics partner of the NBA and EPL. We also work with other top basketball and soccer (football) leagues and clubs around the world.
• We generate meaningful and accurate data in the language of sport. Nearly every team in the NBA and ESPN uses our analytics and video platforms.
• We create cutting edge software and communication tools so we can deliver personalized and interactive technologies for leagues, managers, players, media and fans that save people time and get them what they want in ways that previously did not exist.
• We launched an innovative product, Clippers CourtVision, which won an NBA Innovation Award and Best in Technology at the 2019 Sports Business Awards, and has subsequently been used by ESPN, Turner Sports, FOX, NBATV, and NBA League Pass among others.
We are constantly innovating. We believe that technology will revolutionize the way that sports are played, coached, and experienced, and that the work to make this happen has just begun.
The Role: Staff Accountant
What You’ll Do:
• Perform reconciliation of data from multiple sources and systems to the general ledger such as bank, A/R, prepaids, other assets, A/P and liability account
• Manage all A/P processes, including vendor onboarding, employee reimbursements and credit card reconciliations
• Perform monthly bank and account reconciliations
• Code transactions in QuickBooks and Bill.com
• Prepare monthly journal entries, including inter-company eliminations
• Perform monthly close process in accordance with GAAP
• Prepare monthly consolidated financial statements
• Maintenance and filing of financial records
• Assist with miscellaneous local and state tax compliance
• Assist with audit preparations
• Perform balance sheet account analysis, reconciliations and variance analysis
• Review and prepare asset and liability account reconciliations, implements follow up action plans for resolution to reconciling items
• Support budgeting and forecasting activities
• Verify month-end A/R, A/P and accruals
• Prepare month-end variance reports
• Assist with cash projections
• Establish, maintain, and coordinate the implementation of accounting procedures and internal control
• Assist in reevaluating existing controls and identifying areas of weakness or new risks
• Assist in designing and implementing revised controls successfully
• Perform other ad hoc projects as needed
What You Have:
• 6+ years of full cycle accrual-based accounting
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting
• Solid understanding of US GAAP, general accounting processes and internal controls, and financial reporting tools
• Experience working with QuickBooks, Bill.com, Expensify
• Experience with ERPs
• Experience with foreign entities
• Advanced Excel skills in formulas, VLOOKUP, and pivot tables
• Ability to consistently and accurately project future occurrences based on current or historic data
• Self-starter who is well-organized, detail-oriented and takes ownership of work
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; comfortable interacting with all levels of the organization
• Strong critical thinking skills to find and interpret information furnished in written, verbal or schedule form and to analyze more complex documents like agreements and contracts
• Makes sound decisions and sets goals based on available information and evaluates situations and requirements to plan and adjust work accordingly
• Able to work independently and without direct supervision; able to make decisions about the severity of variable situations and evaluate the most appropriate response
What Sets You Apart:
• MAcc, MPAc, or MS in Accounting
• CPA or CMA
• Public accounting experience
Our Work Environment and What You Will Benefit From:
• Cutting-edge products to work on for major professional sports leagues and teams
• Team-oriented, start-up mindset, innovative and dynamic environment, which encourages growth and provides opportunities to make an impact
• Flat hierarchy and collaborative management led by highly-qualified technical leads
As a general approach, we interview for aptitude over specific technologies. Please be prepared to speak to anything listed on your resume or CV.