Machine Learning Intern, Basketball
Los Angeles, CA /
Software Engineering /
Second Spectrum is building the next way of seeing sports. We deliver unique and innovative solutions through unparalleled capabilities in machine understanding of sports.
• We produce the most accurate tracking data with the fastest high-quality output by leveraging the most automated and extensible solution in the market. We are the official tracking and analytics partner of the NBA, MLS and EPL. We also work with other top basketball and soccer (football) leagues and clubs around the world.
• We generate meaningful and accurate data in the language of sport. Nearly every team in the NBA and ESPN uses our analytics and video platforms.
• We create cutting edge software and communication tools so we can deliver personalized and interactive technologies for leagues, managers, players, media and fans that save people time and get them what they want in ways that previously did not exist.
• We launched an innovative product, Clippers CourtVision, which won an NBA Innovation Award and Best in Technology at the 2019 Sports Business Awards, and has subsequently been used by ESPN, Turner Sports, FOX, NBATV, and NBA League Pass among others.
We are constantly innovating. We believe that technology will revolutionize the way that sports are played, coached, and experienced, and that the work to make this happen has just begun.
The Role: Machine Learning Intern, Basketball (Fall/Winter 2020)
What You’ll Do:
We are looking for a machine learning intern to work with cutting-edge machine learning technologies to ensure our market leading position in sports analytics
• Design, prototype, implement, test and deploy machine learning algorithms
• Spatio-temporal classification of basketball actions and strategies using player tracking data
• Real-time predictive modeling of on-court basketball outcomes
• Implement and provide best-practices for maintainable ML development, including deployment process, documentation, and adherence to and improvement of coding standards
• Continuously learn new applications and apply learnings to new challenges
What You Need to Have:
• Currently pursuing a Bachelor's, Masters, or PhD with concentration in Machine Learning
• Demonstrate strong academic performance
• Strong problem solving and analytical capabilities
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong willingness to learn from teammates
• Familiarity with Python + ML frameworks (pytorch, tensorflow/keras, scikit-learn)
What Sets You Apart:
• Experience with Rust, C++
• Current participation in or passion for basketball
• Personal projects analyzing sports data
Our Work Environment and What You Will Benefit From:
• Cutting-edge products to work on for major professional sports leagues and teams
• Team-oriented, start-up mindset, innovative and dynamic environment, which encourages growth and provides opportunities to make an impact
• Flat hierarchy and collaborative management led by highly-qualified technical leads
As a general approach, we interview for aptitude over specific technologies or languages. Please be prepared to speak to anything listed on your resume or in your portfolio.