Senior Software Engineer - Platform (Pipeline)
Los Angeles, CA /
Software Engineering /
Please note: This is not an open position at this time. While we have placed a pause on hiring in this area, we are still committed to finding and hiring top talent and continue to have conversations with potential candidates for future hiring needs. Please apply here and we'll review your profile for consideration as positions become available in the future. Should there be a match, we will reach out to set up a time to chat. Thank you for your interest in joining us.
Second Spectrum is building the next way of seeing sports. We deliver unique and innovative solutions through unparalleled capabilities in machine understanding of sports.
• We produce the most accurate tracking data with the fastest high-quality output by leveraging the most automated and extensible solution in the market. We are the official tracking and analytics partner of the NBA, MLS and EPL. We also work with other top basketball and soccer (football) leagues and clubs around the world.
• We generate meaningful and accurate data in the language of sport. Nearly every team in the NBA and ESPN uses our analytics and video platforms.
• We create cutting edge software and communication tools so we can deliver personalized and interactive technologies for leagues, managers, players, media and fans that save people time and get them what they want in ways that previously did not exist.
• We launched an innovative product, Clippers CourtVision, which won an NBA Innovation Award and Best in Technology at the 2019 Sports Business Awards, and has subsequently been used by ESPN, Turner Sports, FOX, NBATV, and NBA League Pass among others.
The Role: Sr. Software Engineer - Platform
We are looking for a senior engineer to help lead efforts in our live low latency systems that drive our computer vision and augmentation engines. Being a super strong generalist who is ready to lead projects and thrives in a quick moving workflow environment will help you be successful in this role.
• Server-side: Rust, Typescript
• Algorithms and Machine Learning: Rust, C++, Python
• UI/Apps: Swift, Kotlin, Typescript/React
• Infrastructure: AWS, on-premise, Docker
What You’ll Do:
• Lead, implement, review and maintain code base and be responsible for overall quality of the project
• Disambiguate product requirements by communicating with stakeholders and offer up creative solutions to potential roadblocks
• Work closely with cross functional teams to ensure that the product meets quality, security, scalability and performance standards
• Document, socialize and implement performance optimizations and scaling strategies
• Prioritize architectural and non-functional requirements
• Participate in development opportunities to remain current on best practices, learn new programming languages, and better assist other team members
• Share your observations, learnings and questions with your colleagues
• Coach and mentor junior team members
What You Have:
• Strong software engineering fundamentals
• Fluency in Rust and Python
• Experience with Git, GitHub and GitLab
• Regular user of Docker or other DevOps style tools
• Comfortable with using or learning Kubernetes
• Strong understanding of development cycle and programming techniques and tools
• Excellent project and time management skills
• Solid critical thinking and root cause analysis skills
• Ability to work successfully in a team and independently
• Derive job satisfaction from abstracting and refactoring
• Enjoyment of figuring out puzzles and not needing a solution mapped out
• Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field
• 4+ years in a software development role
• Ability to effectively communicate learnings and coach others
• Desire and aptitude to learn, master and share new and emerging technologies and take initiative to offer technical direction and creative solutions to business problems
What Sets You Apart:
• An interest in sports
• Experience with AWS
• Expertise in Rust
Our Work Environment and What You Will Benefit From:
• Cutting-edge products to work on for major professional sports leagues and teams
• Team-oriented, start-up mindset, innovative and dynamic environment, which encourages growth and provides opportunities to make an impact
• Flat hierarchy and collaborative management led by highly-qualified technical leads
As a general approach, we interview for aptitude over specific technologies or languages. Please be prepared to speak to anything listed on your resume or in your portfolio.