Network and Infrastructure Engineer (Now Hiring)
Los Angeles, CA /
Software Engineering /
Second Spectrum is building the next way of seeing sports. We deliver unique and innovative solutions through unparalleled capabilities in machine understanding of sports.
• We produce the most accurate tracking data with the fastest high-quality output by leveraging the most automated and extensible solution in the market. We are the official tracking and analytics partner of the NBA, MLS and EPL. We also work with other top basketball and soccer (football) leagues and clubs around the world.
• We generate meaningful and accurate data in the language of sport. Nearly every team in the NBA and ESPN uses our analytics and video platforms.
• We create cutting edge software and communication tools so we can deliver personalized and interactive technologies for leagues, managers, players, media and fans that save people time and get them what they want in ways that previously did not exist.
• We launched an innovative product, Clippers CourtVision, which won an NBA Innovation Award and Best in Technology at the 2019 Sports Business Awards, and has subsequently been used by ESPN, Turner Sports, FOX, NBATV, and NBA League Pass among others.
The Role: Network and Infrastructure Engineer
Second Spectrum is seeking a systems and network administrator who is able to work with both networks and servers. We are looking for an experienced engineer who can own the full cycle - design, build, iterate, and deploy.
What You’ll Get To Do:
• Collaborate with our video capture team to design, implement, deploy and oversee our real time video capture systems for stadiums in North America and Europe
• Build install plans tailored to the unique constraints for each site we install
• Maintain and optimize network for on-premises deployments under a real-time SLA
• Develop monitoring and alerting to enable remote administration, troubleshooting, and resolution for an install footprint of dozens and eventually hundreds of individual sites
• Contribute to the devops system on which all Second Spectrum products are deployed - both in the cloud and on-prem
• Discuss and distribute knowledge, technical concepts, and ideas with any member of our diverse organization
• Build processes and playbooks to improve our engineering practices and culture
• Cisco managed, PoE, stacked switches
• Fiber and copper 1Gbit and 10Gbit LAN deployments
• VPN and VLAN design and deployment on open-source tools such as PFSense
• Docker on Kubernetes
• Linux on virtual machines and bare-metal hardware
• AWS EC2 (mixed demand/spot), S3, RDS, Mediastore, and Cloudfront
What You Have:
• 5+ years in network engineering experience focused on Local-Area Networks, particularly routing and the Linux networking stack
• 2+ years’ experience in systems administration (can be concurrent with above)
• Shell scripting and tools automation experience
• Hands-on experience troubleshooting and diagnosing network failures in OSI Layers 1-4
• Extensive networking experience, including media (fiber, ethernet, cable), networking protocols, switch and router configuration, security, administration, SNMP router management
• Experience troubleshooting with third-party vendors, IT staff, and service providers
• Experience with cloud technology such AWS or Azure AWS
• Familiarity with the Linux networking stack
• Authoring documentation for ongoing troubleshooting and support
What Sets You Apart:
• Experience with shared facilities and physical layer-networking -- hardening and building redundancy for high pedestrian traffic, weatherproofing, and durability
• Container orchestration experience
• Experience with live video streaming implementation and protocols
• Site reliability engineering: metrics, monitoring, incident response, post-mortem analysis
As a general approach, we interview for skill set over specific technologies or languages. However, you will be expected to speak to anything listed on your resume/CV.