Software Engineer - Infrastructure (Pipeline)
Los Angeles, CA /
Software Engineering /
Please note: This is not an open position at this time. While we have placed a pause on hiring in this area, we are still committed to finding and hiring top talent and continue to have conversations with potential candidates for future hiring needs. Please apply here and we'll review your profile for consideration as positions become available in the future. Should there be a match, we will reach out to set up a time to chat. Thank you for your interest in joining us.
Second Spectrum is building the next way of seeing sports. We deliver unique and innovative solutions through unparalleled capabilities in machine understanding of sports.
• We produce the most accurate tracking data with the fastest high-quality output by leveraging the most automated and extensible solution in the market. We are the official tracking and analytics partner of the NBA, MLS and EPL. We also work with other top basketball and soccer (football) leagues and clubs around the world.
• We generate meaningful and accurate data in the language of sport. Nearly every team in the NBA and ESPN uses our analytics and video platforms.
• We create cutting edge software and communication tools so we can deliver personalized and interactive technologies for leagues, managers, players, media and fans that save people time and get them what they want in ways that previously did not exist.
• We launched an innovative product, Clippers CourtVision, which won an NBA Innovation Award and Best in Technology at the 2019 Sports Business Awards, and has subsequently been used by ESPN, Turner Sports, FOX, NBATV, and NBA League Pass among others.
The Role: Software Engineer - Infrastructure
We are searching for engineers for our DevOps team, who will bring a software engineering mentality to application deployment. Design and build a multi-datacenter architecture that runs all of the systems Second Spectrum operates. Furthermore, this role will be a key to empowering the teams at Second Spectrum by building out internal tooling to help developers deploy their services, provide logs and metrics, and gain insight into the applications as they run at scale.
● Docker and container scheduling (Kubernetes)
● Configuration as code (Terraform)
● Postgresql, RabbitMQ, Pulsar, Redis
● Node.js, Rust, Python
● Prometheus, Grafana, OpenTelemetry
● AWS (EC2, RDS, S3, among others).
In addition to writing code around the above stack, we take a hands-on approach to our systems. We host our own services when appropriate, and leverage open source wherever possible. We’re looking for someone with a strong sense of ownership, has opinions, can learn quickly, and is able to distribute knowledge.
What You Have:
• Strong software engineering fundamentals - building and using new tools is fun but implementing new tools is a must have.
• An aptitude for learning technologies and sharing experience.
• Working knowledge of HTTP(S), DNS, TCP/IP, and other internet-based protocols.
• Basic familiarity with Linux
• Experience with build and release management
• 2+ years of Python or Rust development
• Demonstrated ability to design and develop APIs
• Demonstrated ability to develop Microservices for a Microservice architecture
• Demonstrated ability to develop SQL or NoSQL databases including PostgreSQL or MongoDB
• Experience with AWS
• Experience with Docker deployment
• Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field
• 2+ years in a software development role
What Sets You Apart:
• An interest in sports is a substantial plus
• An enthusiasm and curiosity to learn the systems in our stack
• Experience with the following process tools: git, Jira, Confluence
• Experience developing RESTful Services
Our Work Environment and What You Will Benefit From:
• Cutting-edge products to work on for major professional sports leagues and teams
• Team-oriented, start-up mindset, innovative and dynamic environment, which encourages growth and provides opportunities to make an impact
• Flat hierarchy and collaborative management led by highly-qualified technical leads
As a general approach, we interview for aptitude over specific technologies or languages. Please be prepared to speak to anything listed on your resume or in your portfolio.