Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure (Pipeline)
Los Angeles, CA /
Software Engineering /
Please note: This is not an open position at this time. While we have placed a pause on hiring in this area, we are still committed to finding and hiring top talent and continue to have conversations with potential candidates for future hiring needs. Please apply here and we'll review your profile for consideration as positions become available in the future. Should there be a match, we will reach out to set up a time to chat. Thank you for your interest in joining us.
Second Spectrum is building the next way of seeing sports. We deliver unique and innovative solutions through unparalleled capabilities in machine understanding of sports.
• We produce the most accurate tracking data with the fastest high-quality output by leveraging the most automated and extensible solution in the market. We are the official tracking and analytics partner of the NBA, MLS and EPL. We also work with other top basketball and soccer (football) leagues and clubs around the world.
• We generate meaningful and accurate data in the language of sport. Nearly every team in the NBA and ESPN uses our analytics and video platforms.
• We create cutting edge software and communication tools so we can deliver personalized and interactive technologies for leagues, managers, players, media and fans that save people time and get them what they want in ways that previously did not exist.
• We launched an innovative product, Clippers CourtVision, which won an NBA Innovation Award and Best in Technology at the 2019 Sports Business Awards, and has subsequently been used by ESPN, Turner Sports, FOX, NBATV, and NBA League Pass among others.
The Role: Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure
● Docker and container scheduling (Kubernetes)
● Rust, Node.Js, Terraform
● Postgresql, RabbitMQ, Pulsar, Redis
● Prometheus, Grafana, OpenTelemetry
● AWS (EC2, EKS, RDS, S3, among others)
We are building a pipeline of senior engineers to become strong contributors of our infrastructure team. The infrastructure team builds the platform on which all Second Spectrum products are deployed. Since scale is driven by live events, systems must burst at high capacity to support machine learning and computer vision products. While your primary role will be building and maintaining the deployment system, you’ll also be responsible for interacting with other groups to identify needs and help to drive the roadmap of the system. We’re looking for someone with a strong sense of ownership, who has opinions, and able to distribute and share knowledge.
What You Have:
● 4+ years’ experience coding, testing and design
● 4+ years’ experience with software development methodologies
● Solid foundation of software engineering fundamentals with an aptitude and curiosity for learning new technologies and sharing experience. Building and using new tools is fun but implementing new tools is a must have.
● Experience deploying, debugging, and maintaining backend services and distributed systems
● Expertise running and managing Kubernetes and Docker for production workloads
● Experience authoring security policies across multiple functions: engineering, sales, marketing
● Strong communication and collaboration skills in order to discuss technical concepts and complex ideas with any member of the organization
● Strong ability and interest to provide guidance and mentoring on programming practices and techniques to individuals and groups
● Ability to use a wide variety of technologies and cloud services (experience with AWS is a must)
What Sets You Apart:
● Experience with live video streaming best practices and protocols
● Experience installing and maintaining rack-mount server hardware
Our Work Environment and What You Will Benefit From:
• Cutting-edge products to work on for major professional sports leagues and teams
• Team-oriented, start-up mindset, innovative and dynamic environment, which encourages growth and provides opportunities to make an impact
• Flat hierarchy and collaborative management led by highly-qualified technical leads
As a general approach, we interview for aptitude over specific technologies or languages. Please be prepared to speak to anything listed on your resume or in your portfolio.