Generalist Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Are you excited about learning new things? Applying your technical skills to a wide variety of challenges? Seesaw is hiring generalist software engineers to work on the key challenges facing us as we scale from 100K+ classrooms to 1M+ classrooms.
What does this mean day to day? Other engineers in this position have written and deployed a service to allow parents to download a zip file of all their child's work efficiently, built up our paid school offering on the web, done data analysis to understand where teachers are churning in our sign-up flow, contributed to Android feature development, figured out AWS auto-scaling and migrated our production environment to that new setup, and much, much more.
We have big ambitions (and already moderate scale -- we're used in 1 in 4 schools) but pride ourselves on a scrappy, versatile engineering team that can get whatever needs to be done, done. If this role sounds interesting, you'll need a CS degree, and 2-4 years of prior work experience with some exposure to at least 2 of the following technology areas: Web, iOS, Android, Backend/Python.
Working at Seesaw
- If you'd like to get a feel for our office, and hear from some of our team about why we work here, please check out our profile on the Muse: https://www.themuse.com/profiles/seesaw
- We're a small team, so you'll have a chance to shape many aspects of our product and company, from the experience in the classroom to the infrastructure running our apps.
- In almost every role we’re figuring out how to operate at scale -- whether it’s figuring out our engineering processes or sales approach, you’ll have the opportunity to impact the culture of Seesaw and how the company works.
- We are well funded and have an experienced team. You'll work side by side with creators & leads of some products you know -- Google Calendar, Picasa, Google Groups, Google Maps, Facebook Platform.
- We care about building a diverse and inclusive team and welcome people from all identities, backgrounds, and experiences. The K-12 market represents an incredibly diverse user-base and we want to best advocate for the needs of this community.
- We prioritize an environment that balances work & life. We encourage everyone to work at a sustainable pace and have an unlimited vacation policy we take seriously.
- Our product enables students to learn in new and meaningful ways everyday. At Seesaw, we strive to bring that same enthusiasm for learning to our work.
- We offer comprehensive benefits including full medical, dental, and vision coverage, free lunch, and 401(k) matching.
At Seesaw, our mission is to create an environment where students can be their best.
For us, this means:
- Empowering students to take ownership of their learning, and to reflect on their progress over time.
- Giving students tools to show what they know in the way that works best for them.
- Inspiring students to try their best by providing an audience for their work beyond the classroom.
- Creating a meaningful home-school connection so parents can better support their child's learning.
In just 3 years, we are already in use in 1 in 2 US schools and in over 150 countries abroad. We're at a unique time where our product is clearly working but we're just beginning to scale, and you can be a key part of something big.
Seesaw provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Seesaw complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary is negotiable.